Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Tips and Tricks

With standard settings and max FL150 I get a very convenient route:

VORs catch everyone out. Germinghausen (GMH) is a particular favourite.

The RNAV transitions are turning up everywhere now, and they tend to give you shortcuts to points on the arrival. The other variation of this is point merge, where there is an RNAV waypoint arc where they can send you at any point to the centre fix for the runway. Apparently it is easier than vectoring for managing distances and separation.

London area

Bosco, Achima, others …

If you get such a Waypoint from an RNAV transition while flying a “vectored ILS”, how do you handle it, for example with the GNS430?

Hit the DCT key, enter the waypoint then Enter Enter as usual.

The 430 will ask if you want to discontinue the approach, which you accept.

Then when you get next vector, activate vectors to final again and resume the approach.

EGSC

If you get such a Waypoint from an RNAV transition while flying a “vectored ILS”, how do you handle it, for example with the GNS430?

Enter the waypoint, direct enter enter and make sure you are in GPS mode. Same as you would with any direct. Typically you wouldn’t get it once you are told you are being vectored for the ILS though.

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Oct 08:25
EGTK Oxford

Enter the waypoint, direct enter enter and make sure you are in GPS mode.

One of the joys of having the Avidyne DFC90 — never again mess up because the GNS is not in the correct mode (GPS vs VLOC). When flying in GPSS mode on the DFC90, the GNS can be on VLOC and it will still work. Great feature!

Wow, that works with the DFC90? … I think I have to take a day off and go practice these things. …
Thanks all!

Do you mean the AP is getting ARINC429 roll steering from the Garmin, even when flying an ILS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, if it is in GPSS mode. If it’s in NAV mode, then it gets the information per the GNS mode (VLOC/GPS). When flying an approach, it’s always in NAV mode.

NAV or GPSS mode should make no difference, … i thought. (Do you know that the DFC100 does not even have a GPSS key?)

I think that’s different with the ENTEGRA glass cockpit, If the PFD is set to GPS1 then it does nit matter if the A/P is set to GPSS or NAV … can not see a difference in behaviour …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 06 Oct 09:33
Sign in to add your message