Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Tips and Tricks

I personally remove the VLOC signal so that the source is not considered

By “VLOC” do you mean the ILS ENERGISE?

I too have wondered about simply removing that signal. It would solve a lot of issues, starting with being able to fly an ILS or LPV without any difference in the way the autopilot is used

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

VLOC is the annunciator signal that when active (low) the CDI source is from the VOR/Localizer receiver. It typically drives a CDI source annunciator, but is used in some circumstances to disable the GPSS when the signal is low. This has the effect of disabling the GPS anytime the pilot selects VOR/LOC to be displayed. A very bad idea IMHO.

KUZA, United States

So I just flew Oxford – Stuttgart. Nicely over the top of the weather. Had a practical example of the point made earlier flew to BADSO and the RNAV transition to ILS rwy07. Then direct DS411. Then runway change to 25 (to help German wings!) and VTF ILS 25.

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 Oct 20:17
EGTK Oxford

Just got this offer from Avidyne: Buy a IFD540 – and get a ADS-B Transponder for free. Doesn’t sound bad:

http://www.avidyne.com/landing/ifd540-free-adsb.asp

Yes – here

I am inclined to wait for the Americans to get the inevitable bugs out of the IFD540. Also it will take time for Avidyne’s finances (which are IMHO somewhere below the floor) to rebuild, so they have some financial stability.

Then I will buy two of them. Two will be far better than a GTN650+750 and I don’t have room for 2 x GTN750. Also IMHO the UI of the 540 is much better done than the 750.

I wonder if Avidyne’s STC is limited to Avidyne dealers only… that would be a (technical) problem for me.

Administrator

Well, probably. I that case you buy them for your kitplane!
TWO IFD540s?? Wow. Do you have any complicated navigational tasks to solve? :-)
How about one IFD540 and one 440? … should come soon now

The 440 is good for only one thing IMHO: a touch screen keypad

Like the GTN650 if installed alone.

Administrator

Well, that’s correct if you have no MFD.
In my case I don’t need any other big screens. I use the little screens (of my 430s) for the routes, TOD calculation or traffic when I use the approach chart on the MFD (because traffic is only displayed on the base map of the MFD, not on the Jeppesen approach charts).

48 Posts
Sign in to add your message