Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The £40k frozen ATPL (CPL/ME/IR)

What is the goal? To have the license and ratings or to get a job as an airline pilot?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Doesn’t matter. If you have a pulse you’ll get a job at the moment.

Yes, airline or possibly bizjet.

Another thing is whether anybody knows about the “uniformity module” which some airlines want at the end of the modular (DIY) route.

A key requirement is to avoid paying large sums up front, due to a) cash not available and b) so many FTOs going bust. This is not a “grandparents paying” scenario

If you have a pulse you’ll get a job at the moment.

I hear very differently from other sources, so I wonder what is different.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Which order to sit the 13 exams?

I did them in following order assuming equal level in each group:

1st group:
- 021 AIRFRAME / SYSTEMS / POWER PLANT
- 022 INSTRUMENTS / ELECTRONICS
- 031 MASS AND BALANCE
- 032 PERFORMANCE
- 050 METEOROLOGY
- 081 PRINCIPLES OF FLIGHT

2nd group:
- 010 AIR LAW AND ATC PROCEDURES
- 033 FLIGHT PLANNING & MONITORING
- 040 HUMAN PERFORMANCE & LIMITATIONS
- 061 NAVIGATION
- 062 RADIO NAVIGATION
- 070 OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES

Communication was recognized from IR training and 7 exams passed earlier.

Last Edited by Emir at 29 Jan 16:17
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

This report on the current UK CAA CPL/IR (“ATPL”) exams doesn’t look so great (source: FTN)

Holy cr@p.. What are candidates smoking?? I had zero idea that this is(was) the state of pass rates. There has to be a lot of go lucky go happy individuals, not from serious flight schools, in that equation. Would a serious ATO have prepared and pre-tested students before sending them of to the exams. Shocking stuff.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

I understand that the exams have become old school, with a significant proportion not multiple choice. This is the way they were back in the day, you had to show your calculations and on some of the papers, the answers had to be written. Not quite essays, but you had to be able to show you understood certain concepts, and not bash the QB until you thought you had memorised it.

In addition you got point deductions if you clearly didn’t know what you were doing!

All good healthy stuff :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

My fATPL didn’t cost me 40k. I get a distance course for 3500€ and a lot of time in. For the exams, it was more or less the same as Emir, but we had 2 comms at the time (so 14 exams). My error was to try 3 to 4 exam by day each time. The 1st exam batch worked well, but I was fried for the second set and missed 2, so had to repass the the month after.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 29 Jan 19:51
LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

My error was to try 3 to 4 exam by day each time. The 1st exam batch worked well, but I was fried for the second set and missed 2, so had to repass the the month after.

Croatian CAA simply defines the schedule for exams, usually 6 times a year and whatever you apply for at particular term they send you the dates and times within exam week (5 week days actually). That means you can get 1 to 3 exams per day depending how lucky you are and maybe a day off between them. My first group was 1, 2, day off, 1, 2 and the second group was 1, 3, 2, no break days.

Last Edited by Emir at 30 Jan 10:11
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes, airline or possibly bizjet.

Do what those flying big shiny jets do. @RobertL18C will know the market and good places to attend.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t understand – I said that the 100k or whatever is not available in this case, and a DIY (“modular”) route is desired.

OK let me post a clue: the candidate in this case is a female, and it is known that – due to the 10% quota system – they can get in, modular or not, and I personally know of one who started at 43 and got a job immediately. Also IQ well above airline pilot average (PhD in science i.e. a real PhD).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message