Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing at Unattended Airports

In the U.K. it is permissible to land anywhere with the landowner’s permission, it doesn’t have to be an airfield.

Are there no farm strips in Netherlands or Germany?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Aviathor wrote:

AFAIK there is no law against such operations in Norway but it depends depends on the airport operator.

You are thinking IFR here? At ENOP (Oppdal), a private field in G airspace, there is a tower. Whenever a “large” aircraft comes, the tower is operated and is working as an AFIS unit for some minutes. There is no ILS or anything there. I think the reason for the manned tower is for AFIS, and the King Airs are simply too large (MTOW > 5700 kg) to operate without it? It could also be that the pilots/owners request it because the field is usually crowded with gliders and skydivers and microlights and whatnot seemingly in complete chaos for someone not used to it (in reality in perfect harmony, maybe because there usually is no manned tower?) It could also be that the owner of the field demands it for larger airplanes. But then again, Twin Otters lift skydivers with no tower services, so it’s a bit mysterious.

Edit: Just looked through the Operational rules at ENOP. It is allowed for VFR day/night for aircraft with MTOW 5700 kg. For lifting skydivers, MTOM 6500 is allowed. IFR is also allowed, but (due to the geographic location in between mountains I would assume), special permission from LT is required for anyone wanting to fly IFR there. The tower shall be in contact with eventual IFR flight in Norwegian language only. So I still don’t know if a manned tower is required, or if it’s simply required for IFR at ENOP due to the special circumstance there (geography, skydivers, gliders etc).

Last Edited by LeSving at 17 Mar 19:58
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Timothy wrote:

In the U.K. it is permissible to land anywhere with the landowner’s permission, it doesn’t have to be an airfield.

Are there no farm strips in Netherlands or Germany?

I think an even better phrasing of that question might be “can you land your own aircraft on your own property in Netherlands and Germany?” and I think I know the answer.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Mar 19:38

Nope. In Germany, taking off or landing is only permitted from licensed airfields, during published operating hour and, in most cases, with some sort o AFISO present.

Exceptions have to be approved by the state-level CAA, and then there are precautionary landings and taking off again afterwards.

Helicopter operators tend do have general approval for off-airfield landings.

Biggin Hill

@Silvaire, the answer is, at least for Germany, no.

Biggin Hill

I knew that

LeSving wrote:

You are thinking IFR here?

No. VFR and IFR.

Most commercial operators require AFIS or TWR service as well as rescue services which is why they man the tower in Oppdal…

LFPT, LFPN

Timothy wrote:

and, setting aside considerations of common courtesy and airmanship, a landowner’s permission is generally not required in Scotland, thanks to the Land Reform (Scotland) Act.

So if y’all decide to fly in here tomorrow morning, there’s b—-all I can do about it.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

Most commercial operators require AFIS or TWR service as well as rescue services which is why they man the tower in Oppdal…

Somewhat, but you can read it here. and here. Commercial operation requires rescue service, etc. But it looks to me IFR requires special permission from LT as well as tower? I’m not sure, it doesn’t really say in clear writing. For 99% of the time the tower is not operated tough.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Flying in the US, this seems normal, not a safety issue at all. I know Germany forbids such landings. Which European countries ALLOW landings at unattended airports. I know Hungary allows it. Where else?

I believe every European country does except Germany and the Netherlands.

(Many airports close when they are unattended, but that’s a decision by the airport operator.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Mar 21:16
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message