Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing at Unattended Airports

So it is only Germany, Austria and the Netherlands that forbid such landings? What about Italy?

Tököl LHTL

Both licensed and unlicensed airfields don’t require an operator manning the radio.

But if you intend “unattended” as “not a simgle soul at the airfield”, then you have to distinguish between the two. Licensed airfields (aeroporti) require a person on the ground (actually two, IIRC!) to operate the fire fighting equipment, even at the smallest grass airfields, and even if there are only private flights. That’s ENAC’s interpretation of the ICAO firefighting requirements. AOPA Italy has been fighting this for a very long time (many very small airfields are essentially closed all the time because they can’t afford to fulfil these firefighting requirements), but so far without success. Unlicensed airfields (aviosuperfici) do not require any firefighting staff on the ground; hence flying (private only) can take place anytime, with the airfield totally unattended.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Mar 19:18
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico
Excellent and helpful clarification!

Tököl LHTL

Does this mean that off-airport back country flying is possible – like all those amazing videos from Idaho and Alaska?

Yes, up to a point. Scotland is a bit smaller and safer than AK. Our land access rights have to be exercised responsibly, with consideration for others. One needs to avoid SSSIs, osprey nests, etc. And lastly, even if you don’t damage your aircraft the U.K. CAA may prosecute you for “endangering” it. Please don’t ask how I know that.

Still, on average I probably open a dozen “new” sites each year, i.e. places where no other aeroplane has landed. Each one requires quite a bit of homework and planning, which is most of the fun.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

The other thing to note with Scotland is that half of it is under a huge set of restricted airspace areas (activated by NOTAM). @Jacko are these activated often?

Andreas IOM

I presume you’re refering to the TAIN ranges.

I can’t say anything about during the week, as I almost exclusively fly to Scotland on the weekends, but I can’t remember ever seeing them active at the weekends.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Jacko wrote:

Still, on average I probably open a dozen “new” sites each year, i.e. places where no other aeroplane has landed. Each one requires quite a bit of homework and planning, which is most of the fun.

Now I wish you hadn’t told me this – we’re likely moving up to Oban later in the year, and now I’m going to need an aeroplane which can take advantage of this…

EGEO

boscomantico wrote:

boscomantico 19-Mar-17 19:16 #32
Both licensed and unlicensed airfields don’t require an operator manning the radio.

But if you intend “unattended” as “not a simgle soul at the airfield”, then you have to distinguish between the two. Licensed airfields (aeroporti) require a person on the ground (actually two, IIRC!) to operate the fire fighting equipment, even at the smallest grass airfields, and even if there are only private flights. That’s ENAC’s interpretation of the ICAO firefighting requirements. AOPA Italy has been fighting this for a very long time (many very small airfields are essentially closed all the time because they can’t afford to fulfil these firefighting requirements), but so far without success. Unlicensed airfields (aviosuperfici) do not require any firefighting staff on the ground; hence flying (private only) can take place anytime, with the airfield totally unattended.

I have no doubt Bosco understands the regulations etc. on this topic way better than I do (and frankly thank I care to learn to understand),but I do wonder how much of this is “decided” by the local AIP’s to be ignored. In France, traditionally, most Airfields will be open to the public. The VAC chart on the AIP website will be free (which to me makes them “official”, regardless of anyone being there (mostly during the week there is no-one) they are just open from SR to SS. (sunrise to sunset) This is the VAC chart for LFHN as an example LINK We all fly in and out of there without a care in the world really. The majority of the fields in France would be like this…

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 20 Mar 18:03
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I have no doubt Bosco understands the regulations etc. on this topic way better than I do (and frankly thank I care to learn to understand),but I do wonder how much of this is “decided” by the local AIP’s to be ignored. In France, traditionally, most Airfields will be open to the public. The VAC chart on the AIP website will be free (which to me makes them “official”, regardless of anyone being there (mostly during the week there is no-one) they are just open from SR to SS. (sunrise to sunset) This is the VAC chart for LFHN as an example LINK We all fly in and out of there without a care in the world really. The majority of the fields in France would be like this…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I can’t recall seeing the Highland Restricted Area hot, but I guess that what’s left of the RAF use it when they have spare cash to buy fuel. There’s usually one or two week-long war games up here each year, so perhaps they save up for that.

Moving to Oban sounds brave, but they do have a nice clean airport. I think they wash the runway twice a day.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message