Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing at Unattended Airports

I don’t understand Bosco’s reply above.

Presumably in both France and (especially) Italy there will be a divergence between the AIP and what actually happens in the “right” circumstances. But I thought French airports were for the most part usable out of hours. One post I recall reading was a quote from one airport manager saying “when I go home I don’t take the runway with me”. And I have countless emails from Italian pilots telling me about all kinds of stuff.

However what a local can do and what a visitor can do are two very different things!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Must admit I don’t get the reply either. I know of at least 10 fields in the vicinity (aeronautical speaking) one can fly in legally without any presence on the field. By legally I mean one will not be bothered by the law, no one will see any harm in it.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

i suppose we must add Greece to the list, so we have:
Germany, Netherlands, Austria, Greece

Tököl LHTL

You can definitely land at unattended airfields in Greece and I have done so. There are just very few around.

Ikaros

Messolonghi is another – near the intersection called MESSI.

@petakas will know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What about airfields outside of opening hours? I recall planning around the windows of operation with departures on some days impossible (or so I thought) because the airport was closed.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 21 Mar 08:41
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa, any chance this might change in Austria in near future?

Slovakia

How does Gliding manage in countries that do not permit off airfield landings or out of operating hours landings?

A friend of mine landed at EGLK Blackbushe (after published opening times) and was immediately met by the Police. He was then accused of operating the aircraft illegally etc. Luckily the pilot was sufficiently ahead of the Police to tell them that the airfield is Licensed during operating hours and that his landing was legal as the runway is open at all times, even though it was unlicensed.

EGLK, United Kingdom

@supik
I have no idea about such a change!

Tököl LHTL

@Colin, in gliders and balloons it´s legal to land in the countryside or an out-of-hours airfield, since you could not really do much about it anyway! I´ve done it many times, and despite the associated hassle of retrieving the glider I´ve experienced quite a few fun moments worth remembering.
To visit friends on a strictly-gliders-only glidersite we always found a bee or wasp or malfunctioning oil pressure gauge in our motorglider that justified a safety landing.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany
49 Posts
Sign in to add your message