Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legal action against pricing of some airports/handlers and funds gathering

I did not save invoices but this is roughly what it adds up to in Ibiza, incl VAT and for 4 POB, day trip, VFR:

Upto 2016: approx € 45

In 2017 two things changed: 1) mandatory handling and 2) security fee for each POB. All billing goes through the handler. So:
-handling: € 125
-security fee: € 580 (€ 60 for arrival AND for departure per POB, plus VAT)
-landing/parking fee AENA: € 100.

Total € 805

What you get for the 1600% price hike is that handling makes it more comfortable, avoiding the hassle of waiting for the AENA bus to take you back and forth to the ARO to pay your fees after you passed security.

Last Edited by aart at 01 Aug 06:37
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Just thought of something. The real killer is the security fee. The security ‘service’ is exactly the same as for pax flying commercial at a fraction of the above price. Would this provide our lawyers with some sort of ammunition?

Last Edited by aart at 01 Aug 06:58
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks gents!

Again good and useful datapoints. I’ll include those in a mini database that can be used for the legal action.
Any other additions for Spain welcome.

The security thing is just another revenue source tolerated by AENA as their contract with the handlers is on a revenue-sharing basis…hopefully this in itself is infringing basic citizen rights, especially so at Ibiza where there is no alternate airport.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

Bart,

My wife is assisting your legal team i

Great to see such support, more than welcome!
The only correction – not “my” legal team, but ours, over 50 of us paid for the work of these people. And let’s help them with our brains and experiences, their success is our common goal.
With support of your wife’s legal knowledge Antoine it looks to me that we can start thinking about joining Spain at national level anti monopoly case.
Just to remind the plan – we will approach the problem simultaneously EU and national levels (due to lack of current EU regulations in this area). So in the general frames of contract with K&K Lawyers as a product we shall get European Commission complaint (with proper argumentation of infringement of European competition? law) and two national anti monopoly regulator fillings (for Poland – a complete one, second for Greece – the input material).
Petakas with AOPA Hellas already started preparation for Greek anti monopoly filling, the same we can do for Spain (and other countries, if national support is provided).
I expect the product of K&K work to be pretty universal, ready for use across various jurisdictions in EU. The what will be needed are proper national frames, adherence to a particular legal system.

EP..

aart wrote:

Just thought of something. The real killer is the security fee.

Aart, fully agree.
We discussed various arrogant fees during our workshop with K&K. These are the “security” of Spain and other, handlers are particularly creative in inventing them. They plan to approach this problem in their complaint.
For sure at some point there will be a need to gather examples of such “fees”, so please send the examples also of such.
But needed are scans of formal documents. Please make some scans once you have time. Scans of invoices from past/ current years to show rapid price development at airports and also scans showing these kinds of extra fee “ingenuity”.

EP..

aart wrote:

Upto 2016: approx € 45
In 2017 two things changed: 1) mandatory handling and 2) security fee for each POB. All billing goes through the handler. So:
-handling: € 125
-security fee: € 580 (€ 60 for arrival AND for departure per POB, plus VAT)
-landing/parking fee AENA: € 100.
Total € 805

That is simply scandalous – I’m in on second round group financing !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I am going to Ibiza in a couple of weeks. Just got the quote from my handling agent for the costs this year. For a one week stay, PA46, 1.95 tonnes, 2 people in and 2 out:
All prices in Euro ex VAT
Handling 137.00
Communications 21.00
Airport taxes on weight 41.60
Pax charge 0.05
Screening Taxes arrival 120.00
Screening Tax departure 120.00
Met service 0.35
Pax security fee 3.50
Landing fees 13.75
Parking Charges 67.44
PRM Fee 0.60
Air Security Fee 0.60
Aerodrome Services 7.35
Disbursement Fee 34.82
FBO Facilities 40.00

Total 581.06 ex VAT.

The big change from last year is the imposition of the Screening taxes, as noted elsewhere.
This airport also wins the prize for the most inventive and lengthy list of charges in my experience. The list above is 15 items long! And if you have the misfortune to buy fuel there, there is another long list of “service”, “ramp”, “minimum”, “fire” and other such charges, on top of the cost of the actual fuel, despite the fact that you may well have to wait an hour or more for the refuellers to turn up.

Bart, I can send you the quote of you tell me where to send it,

Paul

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

Airport taxes on weight 41.60

I haven’t come across this one before…shouldn’t that be included as part of the landing fee as an aircraft’s weight does not change substantially whilst maneuvering around an airport? (Wait, the answer is of course that the landing fee is regulated so they had to come up with something else…the next airport is going to come up with a taxi fee!)

Really scandalous…

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

On the other hand, the following handling schedule for Charleroi might serve as a good template for handling at other locations if handling is mandatory:

(1) Differentiation between minimal and basic handling (i.e. scope desired)
(2) Differentiation by aircraft MTOW

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

“Disbursment fee”? That sounds like a fee for collecting the fee!

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message