Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Legal action against pricing of some airports/handlers and funds gathering

I am really proud of us as a community.

LPSR, Portugal

It looks as though the problem is rearing it’s ugly head in the US – https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/july/26/eight-dollars-a-gallon-for-fuel-no-way . What is AOPA doing in Europe?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

$ 8 for a gallon of AVGAS?

In Europe, that would correspond to about €1.8 per liter, which I reckon would send people flocking to this cheapo fuel station in a big hurry!

Current Avgas price in Europe is closer to $ 12 per gallon at average….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Damn, missed the first round – looking for the second round of funding this initiative !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Indeed, this IAOPA mentioning our initiative is great. The more discussion about this price ban issue – the better.
Just recently I was having the initial conf-call with the legal team, they have started working on our case now, current phase is a research of legal frames regarding the price setting process at airports, particularly for GA segment.
They expect to finish this stage somewhere next week and come with conclusions then (of course I will share that).
They are already convinced that we have a market failure situation here. What will be needed for their works is a price development through the last years at particular airports. We will have such from Greece (Petakas is already working on this). But also examples from other countries would be of very much sense.
What we are looking for are examples of price development at a particular airport in time. Could you please search your binders and scan some past and current invoices for both landing and handling fees?
Please PM me with such.

EP..

Bart wrote:

What will be needed for their works is a price development through the last years at particular airports.

Bart,

My wife is assisting your legal team in compiling some reference legal and price points. She is a professor in law and legal researcher at the University of the Balearic Islands. She met some time ago some of the team at your legal counsel through their work supporting the Eurocontrol safety meetings. Of course I have asked her to help pro bono (I am sure she will charge me somehow, but that is off-topic)!
She has agreed to look at the local legal environment in Spain and she will report back to the legal team.
I am also trying to put together a database with evolution of historical rates at Spanish airports. The ones I have partial data on are Palma, Menorca, Ibiza, Alicante and Murcia. Any fees + handling price data points we could have form the past 15 years are appreciated!

As an example, LEPA (Palma) used to be our standard alternate (to our home base at SOn Bonet, LESB) with 30-40 EUR landing fees and no mandatory handling back in 2001. Then mandatory handling came around 2002-2004 and then the minimum landing fee per operation came in 2012, making it now a total over EUR 350 (plus parking if you stay a few days). It is fair to say it has a lot of traffic, but that used to be handled via IFR slots (ie VFR prohibited in high season) and also parking slots can be used as a way to limit GA access within reason.

Ibiza is worse. The 9EUR official minimum handling fee is not practicaly available (as in most large airports) and the local aeroclub is now even thinking of basing their single PA-28 aircraft in Mallorca and flying commercial to PMI every time they want to fly! Paying 200EUR in handling fees just to access the airplane is utterly nonsense! We used to fly there back in 2001 and pay perhaps 30-40EUR including one-day parking.

PLse submit other historical datapoints, the more precise the better. PM if too long for the forum.

Thanks Bart & Petakas for the good effort

-Corrected typo on airport list

Last Edited by Antonio at 31 Jul 16:42
Antonio
LESB, Spain

One historical data point here. LEMG, LEZL, LEJR and LEGR used to be around EUR 11 for a landing, I don’t recall parking fees, if any. These figures are from the early 2000s. They were maintained for quite some time – IIRC to about 2007/2008 or so.
LEMG started to implement the VFR ban in the early 2000s, in ever increasing numbers, at first it was only on the busiest days of the year.

Thx 172 driver. We stopped over at LEZL and LEGR in our honeymoon back in 2004 and seem to recall similar figures.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I have various old invoices. I tend to keep them because I’ve had cases of a double request for payment.

I am looking at Zaragoza €10.24 in 2007, 1400kg. Parking was €1.22 of this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message