Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What airspace requires 2x Com Radios?

Yes the 750 – see e.g. here – will do that nicely, if you have a headset adaptor.

However, for general flying in a busy environment, 2 radios are really handy. Even if I was equipping a really basic homebuilt plane I would have two radios in the panel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve just bought the Yaesu FTA-550AA, got it new for £169 so a bit of a steal. Only difference from the 750 (which is probably twice the price) is no GPS but it still does VOR and ILS (without the vertical component).

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

And no Li-ion battery pack

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Raven wrote:

8,33 handheld with GPS, and even VOR/ILS.

Got that one as well, good value for radio usage and many other functions

It is a super nice backup, I am sure it can stay handheld on VOR tracking but for LOC/ILS it needs 3 hands but still very accurate
GPS backup is no use for magenta line generation (generation Trimble2000T/KNS80 may get away with it if saving few way-points)

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Feb 15:06
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Coda wrote:

I’ve just bought the Yaesu FTA-550AA (…) Only difference from the 750 (which is probably twice the price) is no GPS but it still does VOR and ILS (without the vertical component).

Then that’s another difference: the 750 also does the ILS glideslope.

ELLX

See here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You may be right Peter.
750 may not have the GlideSlope.
I have checked it only onboard an airliner and received only LOC but blamed a thick heated windshield blocking GP signal (which would be strange not to block LOC).

Edit:
however reading a manual now and it says a band of 300Mhz is included for GS.

Last Edited by Raven at 07 Feb 09:11
Poland

The Yaesu 750 has the glideslope. Tested from the right seat while the PIC was doing an ILS approach in a light single engine. The manual is also very clear on that: the 750 has glideslope, the 550 doesn’t.
extract from manual

Last Edited by lionel at 07 Feb 10:47
ELLX
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message