Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

@what_next: I understood there is a requirement for radio in class E from 5000’ upwards?

Unless there are some very recent changes (which I must have missed then), the answer is no! You need a transponder above 5000ft but no radio. And there is no requirement to be in radio contact with ATC either.

The relevant document from DFS is this one:
https://www.dfs.de/dfs_homepage/en/Services/Customer%20Relations/Customers%20VFR/01.07.2015.%20-%20VFR-Pilot%20Info%20airspace%20’E’%202015/VFR%20Pilot%20Info%20Luftraum%20E%20update%202015%20en.pdf

EDDS - Stuttgart

Threatened €7500 fine over 8.33 capability

Someone overflew The Netherlands and was unable to tune in an 8.33 frequency he was allocated.

He is being threatened with a €7500 fine. I have seen the letter.

The interesting angle is that he had a GNS box which can do 8.33 but he didn’t know how to select the 8.33 mode.

The alleged offence is that he was not carrying 8.33 equipment but had filed Y, but I can’t see how a prosecution can ultimately succeed because he did have 8.33 and just didn’t know how to tune it

So, the lesson is that you do need to know how to tune in 8.33!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

…but I can’t see how a prosecution can ultimately succeed because he did have 8.33 and just didn’t know how to tune it

If I would be in charge of the prosecution, I would offer him the alternative of paying a fine 10000 Euros for not doing a proper flight preparation (which includes familiarising oneself with the aircraft and equipment on board).

That’s like trying to avoid the fine for overflying a French nuclear power plant by stating that one did not know the symbol which represents these installations on the chart.

EDDS - Stuttgart

99% certain that if he grovels enough it will end in a caution but pretty poor flight preparation if you cannot operate the radios correctly

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

The alleged offence is that he was not carrying 8.33 equipment but had filed Y

So does this mean a mistake in a flightplan could result in a fine of €7500?

EGBB

If you have an 8.33 radio you should enable 8.33 and leave it enabled. I don’t understand why some people keep it switched off.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I concur with all previous comments, but, that said, it had to be those Dutch again! There ought to be a way of warning pilots against flying there, like the “DRAGONS HAVE BEEN REPORTED HERE” on medieval maps and charts.

So does this mean a mistake in a flightplan could result in a fine of €7500?

Hm, not really. If Y had been filed without ticking the “8,33 capable” box, the flight plan could not have been approved.

If you have an 8.33 radio you should enable 8.33 and leave it enabled. I don’t understand why some people keep it switched off.

Hm, I can see what you mean yet I don’t. For my kind of flying 8,33 is never required – as yet – so enabling it would only increase workload and error risk.

Last Edited by at 28 Jul 11:25
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

On a GNS, it massively increases the amount of knob twiddling you need to do to set a frequency, and introduces a greater possibility of errors.

With a dual GNS installation, I’d personally set one unit to 8.33 mode and leave the other set to 25…

We had a similar case in the Netherlands. Someone forgot to add the Y into the flightplan. The aircraft was equiped with a 8.33 khz Radio though. The person received a fine if 1500 euro. I believe Aopa helped the pilot to get it reduced. I searched for an article, but could not find it.

I really don’t understand why these fines so ridiculously high in the Netherlands. Probably because the Dutch government wants to abolish GA in general… (My personal opinion)

jkv
EHEH

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Hm, not really. If Y had been filed without ticking the “8,33 capable” box, the flight plan could not have been approved.

Y in the flight plan equipment string means 8.33kHz capable. Already today you get IFR flight plans refused when penetrating 8.33kHz airspaces that are configured as such in the Eurocontrol system.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

For my kind of flying 8,33 is never required – as yet – so enabling it would only increase workload and error risk.

2018 is the deadline for VFR, that won’t take long.

chrisparker wrote:

It is a major PITA with a GNS. It probably also wears out the knob several times faster which is a very expensive repair. I have only received one 8.33kHz frequency in my career (Munich terminal area) and when I told them to standby as I have to switch my radio to 8.33kHz, they gave me a 25kHz frequency. Therefore I will not operate it in 8.33kHz mode for now. When they become more widespread, I will probably keep the GNS in 8.33kHz mode and use the 2nd radio (25kHz only) as my primary radio.

8.33kHz uptake in the lower airspace is dismal until today. Only the Dutch made a move and are probably pissed that so many crews struggle.

PS: Those threatened draconian fines are standard practise. Whenever you miss a slot for a coordinated airport in Germany, you receive a letter with a threat of a 50,000 € fine (yes!). A few months ago I spoke to one of the guys and he told me they have never actually fined anybody.

Sign in to add your message