Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

Jean wrote:

It takes three times more dial rotations to select frequencies now, but well..

Four times, actually. The 25 kHz channels are still there…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

http://airtimeaviation.com/aircraft/featured-news/450-8-33-khz-defined.html

Pinced form another forum but I suspect a much more infomed debate will occur on here.

But it would appear for Class A, B and C airspace the UK CAA require both boxes to be 8.33

Airtime is an avionics installer

It’s the same old story. The regs have not changed. Duplication is not required – unless you had some avionics installed under an STC which was granted (by EASA) with the condition that there are two radios.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The part of the UK AIP (GEN 1.5 -11 para g) referred to by the CAA in the Airtime link is for EU-OPS aircraft, so not applicable to GA.

All EU-OPS aeroplanes under IFR, or under VFR over routes that cannot be navigated by reference to visual landmarks.
Two independent radio communication systems necessary under normal operating conditions to communicate with an appropriate ground station from any point on the route including diversions.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 03 Jan 18:43
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Not sure if mentioned before (the thread is now quite long) but Eurocontrol have launched a website to disseminate information about the 8.33 radio change. You can register to find out about “8.33 incidents” should you wish, as well as details of subsidies/funding possibilities etc.

For what it’s worth, their view is that all radios onboard should be 8.33 compliant.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Agree. A very poor piece of writing. Wouldn’t give me any confidence in using them.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I like this sentence, my emphasis

8.33kHz Voice Channel Spacing is required in all airspace where EU Member States, Norway and Switzerland are responsible for provision of air traffic services (except where derogations and exemptions are granted)

In other words, 8.33 kHz separation is required everywhere, except where it isn’t.

Last Edited by LeSving at 03 Jan 19:46
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hi everyone
The words posted on the Airtime website are not Airtime’s but come from the CAA.
Airtime has tried to obtain a definitive answer to the question whether only one radio with 8.33 capability is required in a privately operated GA aircraft. As has been mentioned above, there is a view that all radios should be 8.33 capable and many believe one radio will suffice for all airpsace (Eurocontrol’s website says “8.33kHz Channel Spacing capability is required for all Airborne radios on board GAT aircraft operating under VFR and/or IFR in the airspace where Switzerland, Norway and EU Member States are responsible for provision of air traffic services”. )
As has been said on other forums, the words come from a CAA email sent to Airtime. It is believed this information is to be published on the CAA website.
Airtime

Last Edited by at 05 Jan 14:17

http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/8-33-kHz-radios/

Non-commercial operations fall under Part NCO which does not include a requirement for aircraft to carry dual radios. But owners are advised to check the relevant regulation to their own operations in order to establish what is required.

Existing 25kHz radios can be left installed provided that they are only used for exempted frequencies, such as the emergency frequency.

I’m quite happy with the above…why are we looking to make it more difficult :-)
So 8.33 has been with us for several years now. Having used 25 & 8.33 channels I never found any bleed over problems…do they really exist?

Last Edited by PeteD at 11 Jan 14:39
EGNS, Other
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message