Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I’m having an ADL150 installed in april and plan to have an IFD540 in the near future. Should I already foresee an extra cable from the back to the front ?

EBST, Belgium

I think it is not NTSC video but GDL90 input from the IFD which is used in this case.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 05 Nov 11:20

This suggests that the IFD is capable of displaying user defined raster graphics, which is really interesting. Is this over wifi, or wired? GDL90 is a protocol; the interface (the physical layer) could be anything

Airways – yes AFAIK the ADL needs a wired connection to get the GPS flight plan into the ADL. With my KLN94 it is done over RS232.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This connection is already planned for. But is an additional cable required ?

EBST, Belgium

I would say over Rs232:
- outputs FlightPlan to the ADL
- inputs GDL90 data from the ADL, which are later pictured on IFD screen

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 05 Nov 12:09

Bidirectional RS232 is just two wires with an overall shield – a standard twin core avionics wire.

I wonder how the graphics is represented. The data rate is unlikely to be all that high. 9600 is standard which is about 1kbyte/sec. The ADL graphics are massive; even on a high end phone or a tablet they take seconds to decompress and render on the screen.

Administrator

Dont you think it relies on the same rendering as for FISB / XM / GSR56 weather ? It seems that modern MFD have been able to handle weather layer for a while.
The good thing with IFD is that it accepts to be fed with generic GDL90 protocol. I m sure (almost) G1000 will never accept :-))

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 05 Nov 12:36

And link is established at 115200bd from what I read in Sebastian document

Peter wrote:

The ADL graphics are massive; even on a high end phone or a tablet they take seconds to decompress and render on the screen.

Actually the images in native ADL format are very tiny but the compression was designed only with data size in mind. The result is great compression but that comes at the cost of msssive CPU cycles etc. for decompression.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Dont you think it relies on the same rendering as for FISB / XM / GSR56 weather ?

The ADL device will generate a GDL90 formated data stream. So in fact the ADL device “simulates” an American ADS-B FIS-B weather data source. So far it does not work with any of the latest Germin products as they no longer support GDL90 for ADS-B but use the GDL88 which comes with a secret protocol. Some early G1000 might work but I did not try.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

And link is established at 115200bd from what I read in Sebastian document

Avidyne supports 38400 or 115200 baud so 115200 is recommended.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Can you execute the decompression on the IFD’s processor?

This would certain sway my decision in favour of Avidyne – when I finally get around to implementing LPV and installing 2×IFD540.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message