Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

I think that at 100C I would be warping as well

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

So what about functionality then? All models provide the same data/connectivity, and it is just a matter of a new packaging? If that is the case then I suppose the 140 will replace the 120 model (except maybe the Cirrus specific 120). And the panel powered 110B and battery powered 130 will continue to be produced?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Yes the functionality is basically the same. In some applications the ADL140 will replace the ADL120 but there are differences:

1) Only the ADL120 comes with EASA paperwork so permanent and invisible installations are not possible for the ADL140 in certified aircraft.

2) The ADL140 only works with the internal antenna. So any application requiring a remote or external antenna will not be possible. You bascially have to accept the bigger box on the glareshield.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Michael wrote:

Using random, non-conforming hardware

Installing the wrong part has nothing to do with quality grades… If you install the wrong part and then something goes wrong, it’s hardly the fault of the commercial grade part, is it?

Airborne_Again wrote:

So it’s not that components are tested for the MIL temperature range and those that pass the test get the MIL-spec labels and the ones that failed do not?

MIL spec volumes are minuscule, and usually lag commercial volumes by ten years or so, so that wouldn’t work.

Normally, you guarantee temperature range by design, you seldom test devices at more than one or two temperatures in production. You normally try to design a device in a way that it is insensitive to normal manufacturing tolerances so that you only have to test for hard defects. One tries to avoid like the plague to have to “cut” into the probability function tail by limit testing because this reduces yield quite dramatically.

Peter wrote:

plus you don’t get the moisture absorption of the plastic

I personally had plastic chips exposed to well below -40°C and well above 150°C, no issue whatsoever. Maybe that’s why pretty much nobody uses full metal cases anymore? Also, many plastic packages are now MSL 1 i.e. infinite shelf life, so moisture is no real issue anymore.

LSZK, Switzerland

Maybe that’s why pretty much nobody uses full metal cases anymore?

They don’t use them because the volumes became very low so they were discontinued, for most parts.

Also, for most products today, if it outlasts your Iphone, it was overengineered The whole reliability debate is finished and buried, in most electronics.

If I was building something serious which had to work for many years I would use metal cans for power semiconductors or anything which dissipates any heat.

Also, many plastic packages are now MSL 1 i.e. infinite shelf life, so moisture is no real issue anymore.

That relates to the package cracking during reflow and crunching the silicon inside, not to its service life under temperature cycling over years which is a separate issue.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Right – here comes the idiot question :-). I’ve never used the ADL120. I’m an aspiring IFR pilot (hope to take the check ride around April) and the weather suite (sound fancy :-) in my plane only consists of a stormscope (which to be frank, I do not know how to use very well as the plane I am trying for my IFR on does not have a stormscope).

What do I get out of a product like this? I hook it up to my iPAD, suppose I download an app that will give me where the most heavy precip is? Not trying to be smart here, just trying to understand if this is something worth investing in that would give me real time weather info in a similar way to what you see on the Cirrus planes when flying in the US. Something usable to fly around the worst weather in flight for example?

How much of an idiot am I for assuming this could work that way?

Wim

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Wim, you’re not an idiot at all. In simple terms, this box will download near-realtime radar and Infra-red weather data as well as TAFs/METARS and electrical (lightning) activity. It will also allow you to send/recieve SMS messages and acts as a tracker. The box talks to your iPad and satellites; in addition to buying the ADL, you will have to subscribe to a satellite data package (prices available on the website). The price is very competitive and worthwhile considering.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 02 Mar 17:56
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave sums it up..
The only thing I could add is the wind info, at various altitudes, although not near-realtime.
I’ve just started using the ADL120 and therefore don’t have a lot of experience, but sofar i like what i see.
I also have a Stormscope and look forward to correlate it with the ADL strike data, taking into account the ADL delay of course.
That will have to be on a trip up north I’m afraid. Unless someone would be so kind to send some CB’s down here. We need the rain!
Sorry, that is a bit cruel..

Last Edited by aart at 02 Mar 18:09
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks Aart and Dave. So worth investing in in your view then.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

I’m an aspiring IFR pilot (hope to take the check ride around April) and the weather suite (sound fancy :-) in my plane only consists of a stormscope

Once you get your IFR ticket and make flights of any distance, you will very quickly want to have an airborne weather solution of some sorts.

If you fly only your own airplane, you can choose any if the Golze solutions that will fit your aircraft, whether installed permanently, or portable. If you rent or fly several airplanes, I would recommend the ADL130 because of the built-in battery, as all aircraft are not fitted with a power outlet.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 02 Mar 18:21
LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message