Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADL / Golze satellite weather system

This is stating the obvious but having in-flight wx data isn’t going to stop ice adhering to a non-deiced plane

And ice accretion is practically guaranteed if you are in IMC between 0C and about -15C, with around -5C being the worst. It can happen at lower temps than -15C and here is a photo of such which started around -15C.

The ADL is a neat package. I have my own solution (based around a Thuraya XT satellite phone) and would not like to do a long flight without in-flight tafs, metars, etc. even though for the above reasons I don’t do IMC enroute unless the temperature is colder than -15C and I am certain there is no big nasty convective activity.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would say yes, but it all depends on your mission/risk profile and finances of course. If you are going to take it easy and use your IR just to get more flexibility and basically like to fly VFR or IFR as close to VMC as possible you could say it is overkill, for now. If you intend on flying ‘hard IFR’ regularly then it is a good idea. If you gradually want to fly more ‘hard IFR’ then you could buy this kit later. I don’t know whether you will be flying your own aircraft or you will rent. In the latter case your only option would be to buy the battery-powered version, that you will take with you after each flight, or rent out to the next pilot

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

IMHO having tafs and metars is priceless on long flights, even VFR, because you can make sensible diversion decisions early on, instead of the “classical” approach where you get the destination ATIS and then divert.

The other stuff (IR and radar images) are obviously more for flight in IMC, though they do help in assessing the wx a long way ahead.

It needs to be said that Achim’s Telegram based wx facility is another way to get all this data. However, while I try to use it on every flight, I often find it doesn’t work, or doesn’t come back with the data for an hour or more. It is mobile data based and we all know how phones don’t work when in the air. It works much better on 4G (LTE) but even then it cannot be relied on. I tend to use it because it’s free and saves me the $6/MB Thuraya data billing.

I need to update my satcomms writeup with the ADL products! They are much cheaper than the MLX770 etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes flying my own aircraft and to Peter’s point non de-iced. I think I will order this and subscribe.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Looks great! The hardware is now in the price range of ANR headset and could be a good gadget even for seasonal flyers.

Still, if the yearly plans could get lower, it would attract more pilots. What is possible to do? Is it possible to find a free weather provider instead of Deutscher Wetterdienst?

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Jonas wrote:

Still, if the yearly plans could get lower, it would attract more pilots. What is possible to do? Is it possible to find a free weather provider instead of Deutscher Wetterdienst?

I do not think that many pilots actually will have much benefit from purchasing an annual plan unless the device is mounted in the the airplane which is flown by multiple pilots. How many trips or flights do you make each year where you actually need in-flight weather? Most pilots will do well with trip kits that can be activated 30 minutes before departure.

LFPT, LFPN

tomjnx wrote:

nstalling the wrong part has nothing to do with quality grades… If you install the wrong part and then something goes wrong, it’s hardly the fault of the commercial grade part, is it?

Yes it does. If the part is not to spec, then it is non-conforming or to use your term" the wrong part" .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

I do not think that many pilots actually will have much benefit from purchasing an annual plan

Yes, true, maybe i was unclear. That is why mention the Deutscher Wetterdienst subscription. For instance, if you only need weather for 3 days you have to pay 66,80 EUR for 1 year weather subscription. And then 34,50 EUR for 1 month Iridium service. 9 EUR for the 3 days of data you actually need. (+VAT on all). If i have understood correctly. Would be great to reduce the weather subscription cost to start with.

Last Edited by Jonas at 03 Mar 09:17
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Am I wrong, because I was thinking it was or Plan A, B or the tripkits + data package + annual weather subscription?

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

~70 EUR is not much when you compare to what you spend on charts and other pilot supplies. Not talking about membership in aeroclub (if applicable), oxygen refills, landing fees, airplane maintenance, gas… It represents a restaurant dinner with your significant other, or 3 movies at the theater, still with your significant other;..

I agree that 70 EUR is 70 EUR and that it adds to the cost of flying. But if you want/need in-flight weather there is a cost…

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message