Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

Something strange is going on.

If you google on
garmin pilot android
you get the link to the app shop. That works both on the PC and on my T705 (4.4.2) tablet.

However clicking on the install button does nothing, in both FF and Chrome. The button just changes colour for a few seconds. Also the web page in question loads incredibly slowly.

And (as I posted above) the Play Store search doesn’t find it at all.

I’ve seen this before – the app is being blocked by device type and/or by IP. It isn’t asking me to log in, either.

Anyway, I tried again but this time logged in (in Chrome) with a google account I use to buy apps. It now says “no eligible devices for app install”. In a greyed-out device list it lists all three devices I have on that account.

It is possible it is testing for a rooted device and – like the Jepp software – it won’t install on it. However, one of the three devices is my S7 phone which is not (yet) rooted. OTOH the S7 may be incompatible for some other reason.

Can someone send me the .apk to sideload?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe this is exactly what was happening back in Feb. My tablet isn’t rooted, my phone is, neither will find the app in the Play store, and if explicitly pointed at it, won’t install because “there are no compatible devices”. Hopefully @David will clear this up for us.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

There are also complaints in the app store saying the Android version is some way behind the IOS version e.g. the logbook function is missing. However the date shown on the app in the store is slightly later than the date of the report(s). One also has to allow for nearly all the reports being from illiterate people…

I would be happy to sideload the .apk and see where one goes from there. Most likely Garmin will not refuse the purchase of the subsequent data

Another approach would be to visit the app shop via a VPN terminating in the USA.

I do have an Ipad2 but it doesn’t do some other stuff which I need.

Administrator

A developer can restrict availability in the Play store (and Apple App store) based on various conditions such as country, device type or device specifications.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’m also increasingly a fan of GP.

Even bought a GDL39 3D which gives me a backup PFD and ADS-B traffic (mostly the big planes high above in practice). But when I go to the US I use it for portable traffic and weather with the same GP app. At Sun ’n Fun Jeppesen showed a significant update to JeppFD that integrated with the GDL39 as well so you get traffic and weather in JeppFD. Should be coming out soon.

The one reason I can still think of to keep SD is that its rendered VFR enroute chart is much more detailed – as good as the paper version for nature areas, preferred VFR routes and other features that the rather crude VFR chart on GP doesn’t have. I wouldn’t feel comfortable flying VFR with GP alone unless I had the CAA/DFS raster charts as well – but it probably works out cheaper to just buy the occasional one of those in GP if you fly mostly IFR and just use VFR around your home airport or on the occasional trip vs keeping the SD subscription up to date as I do.

Eurocontrol routing with IFR filing would be cool also. Currently it only does VFR plan filing.

I have discontinued use of my Garmin portable as I find GP on iPad much more powerful and useful.

EHLE, Netherlands

I thought we discussed this before, Garmin Pilot is not launched in Europe yet so you can only install it from Google Play if you have a US based account.

I have an APK file (slightly older version), but it doesn’t show you much of any use as it requires the Garmin subscription/login to be activated before it downloads any nav or chart data.

On a separate note, I’m interested to hear other users’ feedback on the GDL39 3D AHRS performance. I have found it quite poor in that drifts off horizontal after a while in the cruise and needs manually levelling. I recently updated its firmware but not retested since.

Would Garmin know where you are based?

In any case, it cannot matter because you could be a US pilot who just happens to be updating GP on a flying visit to London.

Are the GP database updates charged to your google account (like all the android app shop purchases) or are they charged to a credit card or paypal?

Finally, one can have multiple google accounts, and it would be easy to just lie about your location on one of them. I have at least two (that I know about) and have switched them on a particular device.

Administrator

dnj wrote:

I thought we discussed this before, Garmin Pilot is not launched in Europe yet so you can only install it from Google Play if you have a US based account.

For clarity, it is launched in Europe on Apple’s OSX.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

And IOS (Ipad/Iphone).

Administrator

Sorry, yes that is what I meant of course, as we were discussing Android immediately before my post. I have been using the European version for a couple of years now on iOS (not OSX, that is the Mac operating system).

Sign in to add your message