Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

Peter wrote:

Yes indeed; lots of people prefer android for reasons other than cost and I am one of them.

I prefer Android but to suggest most pilots use it is silly. iOS is without doubt the dominant OS for aviation.

Last Edited by JasonC at 04 Aug 20:13
EGTK Oxford

Worldwide Tablet Market Share is about 70% IOS and 30% Android …
UK is 76% vs 23%

Hard to believe that most pilots use Android.

Internet source

Last Edited by Sir_Percy at 04 Aug 20:53

Noe wrote:

I think Peters « most » might be true when you count microlight etc, but I think I only personally know one pilot who uses an android tablet (@Ibra?).

Old 2011 Galaxy tab, old but not obsolete
New Ipad is fast but looses battery quick…

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Aug 21:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

New iPad is fast but looses battery quick…

I have loads of iPads (long story) of all ages, and none of them has a battery longevity problem.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Sir_Percy – you can get different results by choosing different graphs. By value IOS comes out on top because Apple sell only expensive stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I hate Apple and yet have an iPad mini simply because when I was looking for some kind of EFB most aviation apps ran on iOS. I’m weighing up buying Foreflight and that isn’t available on Android. My previous Mini4 was losing battery quite quickly so I’ve bought the 2019 version and am much happier with the battery life.

EGCV, United Kingdom

I think Apple pays Boeing/jeppsen to stick to Apple as exclusive, as a marketing target and getting a part of the bright images pilots have in the US. They don’t really care (yet) about Europe.
Kind of killer app that forces people to buy Apple tablet and keep a niche market in. Look as how different are the price of tablet with GPS/cellular…

This is very much like people gives their mercedes or their expensive plane to the mechanics and pay the bill. Buy an IPad and pay the bill. After all, if it works. But Piper, beech and all other plane maker have followed this policy of and this is why today flying is so expensive… Like 50000e for a tsio360 with turbo, an engine studied in the 70s and cast with daddy’s oven…

LFMD, France

There is no special difficulty writing an android app. For example, take Oziexplorer – a generic moving map app. Loads of features. Runs on every android device, every OS version, every screen size. Same app. How? It was written by somebody who knows the OS and knows which features are common across versions. This is just basic programming. It isn’t rocket science. I guess the main issue is that programmers move on as soon as they can, so the ones left behind are not the best ones.

Reading about GP/android in the US, the general view seems to be that the android version gets written and updated by someone less good, so it tends to be more buggy. Latest versions are said to be OK though.

Surprising that nobody has commented on my Q re any feature differences in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think I will try when starting real IFR nav, next month. The fact is geoloc mapped are a big plus and if android hasn’t it, that’s surely a problem. But GP should take the ball on android with a nice app with jeppsen stuff, there is a market for those who do IFR and anti-apple ;O

Last Edited by greg_mp at 05 Aug 17:49
LFMD, France

Sir_Percy wrote:

Worldwide Tablet Market Share is about 70% IOS and 30% Android …
UK is 76% vs 23%

Hard to believe that most pilots use Android.

Internet source

Sir_Percy, I think the issue here is that people fly with tablets and phones, not just tablet. And at my school it is around 50-50 split between android and iOS devices (I asked!). Most people I know fly VFR, so it is the question if SkyDemon run on the appliance.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message