Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

It looks as if GP users have a rather useful software update on the way.

With long overdue features like vertical navigation and instrument approaches, GP a panel-mounted iPad mini is quite a versatile alternative to a traditional MFD screen.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I have just read in the US AOPA magazine that Garmin Pilot is available in both IOS and Android versions.

So it seems to be true, at least in the US.

Can anyone confirm?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I have just read in the US AOPA magazine that Garmin Pilot is available in both IOS and Android versions.

So it seems to be true, at least in the US.

Can anyone confirm?

I did try the time-limited version a couple of years ago, it worked on Android.

EGTR

It was indeed mentioned a while back but so was a comparison table showing the android version was reduced-functionality.

Administrator

Garmin Pilot on Android cannot file IFR flightplans in Europe, and cannot show Jeppesen charts. No version of Garmin Pilot can file IFR flightplans outside of Europe (I guess that means Eurocontrol region) and the USA. The website also says that the Android version can show the Satellite Imagery in North America and Europe, but only the iOS version can in Latin America, Australia, Asia and Africa.

ELLX

That’s very interesting – many thanks.

So the GP deal with the Autorouter (which is how they do IFR in Europe) is only in the $150 version. Well, they have to pay something for it.

And I am certain the reason for not including Jepp charts in the android version is what’s generally called “DRM”. There are “cloaked root” options for android: a jailbroken device which the apps cannot detect is jailbroken. This is actually very useful because you can have a rooted device but can still use it for contactless payments. Except you can’t really… Google Pay is getting more and more clever in detecting these things even when all other apps can’t detect it, and most people lose contactless payments when they jailbreak.

Interesting that everything else works, notably the Garmin avionics connectivity.

Administrator

… and I think that is pretty much the only thing that works with Garmin Pilot.

My impression has always been that Garmin Pilot is pretty much only used by those who have modern Garmin avionics in the cockpit. and even they tend to hate Garmin Pilot (at least regarding their poor European VFR charting) but are stuck with it if they want to have full integration between ipad and their installed avionics.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Aug 07:31
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

And I am certain the reason for not including Jepp charts in the android version is what’s generally called “DRM”.

Yes; my understanding is that this is a Jeppesen rule (and/or technical choice), not Garmin.

ELLX

I have to say weather indications are very well made, more than SD.

LFMD, France

Is Garmin Pilot still being developed?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message