Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

Yes. They fairly recently released a new version. One “focus feature” was a ForeFlight-like tab-bar system instead of the Garmin avionics-like “main menu with icons”, as well as (again like ForeFlight) procedure selector, a better display of the flightplan, altitude constraints on the flightplan, enroute holds, etc (basically aligning the flightplan in Garmin pilot with the capacities of the avionics). The announcement is here and here and here

Last Edited by lionel at 12 Aug 10:39
ELLX

Unfortunetly the approach data is not available for Europe, so that nice function is not usable …

What approach data is this?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“Hate” it might be a bit strong, Bosco, I’d say “grudgingly accept the trade off” between barely acceptable VFR performance (which frankly only SD offers anyway) and a rather awesome panel integration.

EGTF, LFTF

As an aside, EasyVFR has similar “VFR performance” to SD.

And Foreflight is no more and no less usable for European VFR than any other US-origin program.

Also I suspect practically every GP owner has an IR and their own plane and flies IFR whenever possible. And for the occassional VFR hack, or for OCAS sections of Y/Z flights, they find some other way to keep out of CAS. That would be my scenario too, if/when I update my avionics and go looking for “integration” between the avionics and a tablet.

Administrator

Sir_Percy wrote:

Unfortunetly the approach data is not available for Europe, so that nice function is not usable …

Damn, I thought that was because I’m running on a US subscription / free trial and not a Europe (Premium) subscription.

Last Edited by lionel at 12 Aug 17:38
ELLX

@Peter All approach waypoints, altitude constraints and the procedures.
You can see it a little in this „video“:

starting at about 8:10

Unfortunately the approach data is not available for Europe, so that nice function is not usable …

Agreed it’s a shame, but I don’t find it a big deal when I can overlay an IAP plate anyway.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

OK; thanks. Probably because in Europe there is no machine readable database of this stuff. Each country publishes the AIP plates but only as PDFs, not as a database, to make it harder to “steal their copyright” (see the old saga of the legal action by national CAAs against Jeppesen, etc).

Administrator

The Jeppesen navdata of our navigators has the approaches in machine-readable format just fine.

ELLX
Sign in to add your message