Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Aviathor wrote:

Finesse Max in France carry the MH oxygen systems in case you would like to buy locally.

What you probably want is
MH Item #: 00EDS-2014-04 – (2) EDS-O2D2-2G with CFFC-048 carbon fiber cylinder and FPR-540 regulator.

That is a complete kit for 4 people including on-demand regulators, 4 cannulas, carrying case… Actually IIRC you get 8 cannulas; 4 normal tip, and 4 flare-tip.

Thanks, exactly the answer I was looking for – crystal clear. 10/10 :-) One question, will diving shops fill the cylinders in FR?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Aviathor wrote:

Finesse Max in France carry the MH oxygen systems in case you would like to buy locally.

What you probably want is
MH Item #: 00EDS-2014-04 – (2) EDS-O2D2-2G with CFFC-048 carbon fiber cylinder and FPR-540 regulator.

That is a complete kit for 4 people including on-demand regulators, 4 cannulas, carrying case… Actually IIRC you get 8 cannulas; 4 normal tip, and 4 flare-tip.

I just did bought this one 5 months ago with an aluminium cylinder. great choice, I’m very happy with it. Works very well.
I found a local refiller, it’s about 50-60€ for the largest cylinder (AL-682).

Last Edited by Flyamax at 24 Mar 08:21
France

Also need to choose the cylinder thread – 540 or DIN. Probably DIN is better for scuba shop refills – see here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Also need to choose the cylinder thread – 540 or DIN

Finesse Max told me that they sell 98% of 540 in France. But I didn’t ask for scuba shop compatibility as local guys (glider pilots) told me that they have had some reluctant answers locally. When searching elsewhere to refill, this adapter seems quite interesting.

France

I am 540 also but nowadays I do my own refills from a rented cylinder – details in the earlier link. Then one can make up whatever refill hose one needs. But also you can easily make up a refill hose from anything to anything if you refill at various places.

You can even refill at larger airports which service bizjets. As someone said – everything you wanted to know but were too shy to ask, is on EuroGA somewhere

I have found that scuba shops suffer from, shall we say, employees whose mind is more focused on clubbing than scuba and their IQ is just right for that In the UK particularly (I did a bit of scuba) there can be a culture of heavy drinking around scuba (presumably after they get back). And if you get a good shop, it may be good once and next time you get some anally retarded “our insurance doesn’t allow aviation refills” assistant… I used to move around local scuba shops here and while I could eventually get it done (with my own refill hose) it was too much hassle. Also some charge a fair bit e.g. 50 quid. But some people have found this is a good route. I am however surprised 540 is recommended because that is where most people would initially go and I doubt any scuba shop can refill a 540 cylinder, but most should be able to do a DIN one, with that screw-in adapter.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK will let you know how I get one. Just emailed finesse max to ask for more details.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

As i posted here before, i am very happy with my MH system with a DIN thread. I refill at a local scuba dive shop near Kortrijk (EBKT) just north of Lille. The owner’s father used to fly a Mooney so he knows our world. 7 eur for a refill to the brim !

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

And I bought it from http://www.glider-equipment.nl
So i did not have to worry about having the bottle shipped. Check out the MH dealers in France.

I’d advise for the DIN fitting.
Success!

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Up to what FL do you go without oxygen?

I have seen different articles regarding the effects of hypoxia (and especially the negative effects on sight during night).
Hence my questions:
-till what FL do you go without O2 (obviously in unpressurised planes) ?
-do you differentiate depending if the flight is day or night ?
-do you use an oximeter during these flights ?

all your views on this are more than welcome.

Br,
Jf

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

-10’000 ft normally, for short times <30 min up to 13000 ft.
-no
-yes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message