Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

jwoolard wrote:

No idea whether or not the STC is completed.

I would say it does.

ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

I would say it does.

Yes, for N-reg, but what about EASA aircraft?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Arne that is in the USA – not sure about EASA.

EGEO

Airborne_Again wrote:

what about EASA aircraft

The EASA STC (excel document, line 4140) calls the FAA STC latest amended april 28 2017 (to include the DG/HSI functionality).

The FAA STC refers to the “STC Maintenance Manual” (copy here), which itself refers to the “STC Installation Manual” (copy here), which finally gives in §1.6.1 all AI configurations, in §1.6.2 all DG/HSI confirgurations, and in §2.1 all limtations.

As far as I am concerned the G5 is EASA approved as an HSI.

Last Edited by Arne at 02 Oct 17:43
ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

As far as I am concerned the G5 is EASA approved as an HSI.

Unfortunately the limitations section of the Installation Manual states: “As installed by this STC, the G5 … cannot replace the DG/HSI that is part of an autopilot system.”

Too bad… I wonder if that is a technical limitation or just a limitation of the STC?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Unfortunately the limitations section of the Installation Manual states: “As installed by this STC, the G5 … cannot replace the DG/HSI that is part of an autopilot system.”

That makes sense. That version of the FAA STC doesn’t cover the GAD29b which is needed to output the autopilot deviation signals. AFAIK the GAD 29b isn’t certified yet in the US.

@Arne, thanks – that’s good to see. Always nice to be proved wrong :-)

Last Edited by jwoolard at 03 Oct 05:58
EGEO

cannot replace the DG/HSI that is part of an autopilot system.”

Technically this is not an issue because e.g. Garmin already have the KI256 emulation in the GAD43. And I am sure the G5 is just existing Garmin stuff repackaged, for product / price list differentiation.

The main issue with a box which can drive an autopilot is that its installation affects the autopilot AFMS, and that needs extra certification. I was told by another old player on the US avionics market that they considered certifying one of their products as a KI256 replacement (I actually suggested to them that they do it because they obviously had the functionality already) and the owner of the business said they looked into it and it was too much work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

cannot replace the DG/HSI that is part of an autopilot system
I saw this, but as your initial request made no mention of autopilots I left it aside.

jwoolard wrote:

the GAD 29b isn’t certified yet in the US
It’s not, and the real question is whether it will be certfied on its own or only in combination with the GFC500 autopilot (due later this year, early next, depending on airplane model), for which the G5 is definitely described as a possible HSI replacement.

Last Edited by Arne at 03 Oct 10:40
ESMK, Sweden

Arne wrote:

It’s not, and the real question is whether it will be certfied on its own or only in combination with the GFC500 autopilot (due later this year, early next, depending on aeroplane model), for which the G5 is definitely described as a possible HSI replacement.

I don’t think the GAD29 b is required for the Garmin autopilot – that takes its data directly over the CAN bus, so it doesn’t need the analogue outputs from the GAD adapter. There’s not a whole lot of point to the GAD29b if it doesn’t talk to legacy autopilots – without that it’s just a plain GAD29 which is already allowed as part of the HSI upgrade.

EGEO
EIMH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message