Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop choices

For reasons I’d rather not go into I need to replace the prop on my Falco. Engine is an IO360 B1B and prop is a two bladed VP Hartzell.

One of my primary objectives is to lose weight (sarcasm invited…) and GT Propellors in Italy claim the biggest weight saving of 10kg but I’ve had mixed reports on their customer service.

Hartzell do make a CF version of the existing prop but at a weight saving of just 4Kg and a cost of $25000!

MT offer a three blade conversion at a reasonable cost of around €8000 and a weight saving of 4kg.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

(Permit aircraft so will have to submit a mod approval to the LAA whatever I do other than replace like for like)

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 15 Jan 00:22
Forever learning
EGTB

MT sounds compelling with those numbers.

EGTK Oxford

Whirlwind carbon fiber, two blade. Highest technology blade design available and Hartzell, McCauley and the like know it. Similar weight and cost to MT but much better blade technology: hollow or foam core CF, no wood blades or delaminating fiberglass weather shield, better shape, better electroformed nickel leading edge. The hub is conventional, like McCauley.

The founder and design engineer is a friend and a very clever guy You might check them out.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Jan 04:35

I have a Whirlwind GA200L and am very pleased with it. It is light and ground adjustable. Whirlwind have two divisions, one in Ohio for the CS propellers and the other in San Diego California for the fixed pitch. I think the blades are all made in California. On the other hand I have heard that the LAA in the UK have not yet approved them.
Simon

Have a look at Hecules http://www.hercprops.com/ UK based, good reputation. I have been around their works and very impressive, they CNC wood.
Norman

Norman
United Kingdom

I swapped my 76" Hartzell for an MTV-15 a year ago. I’ve no complaints about the MT and it gets rid of the red slice of pie on the rev counter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

AFAICT Hercules don’t do VP.

Forever learning
EGTB
The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve heard very good reports on the composite Hartzell on RVs.

Lighter, smoother and more efficient than the metal versions.
KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Yes, but at $25000 they are not for us.

Forever learning
EGTB
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message