Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G500 retrofit costs for a TB20GT

Hello. I’m considering buying a Socata TB20GT which is pretty much up-to-date on the avionics side e.g. it has a GNS 530W/430 set except for the old sixpack gauges. I wondered whether anyone has had a Garmin G500 upgrade done with the approved STC
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/tb20-experience/TB20_G500_Retrofit.pdf
and if so, what the actual bottom line costs were.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Surely you need to ask an avionics shop for a budget price?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Also, I would very seriously consider Aspen instead.

I wrote a substantial comparison piece on here a couple of weeks ago (I am sure you will find it on a search). I definitely did not come down definitively one way or the other, though I marginally prefer Aspen, but it is close enough for you to pay close attention to the detailed comparison.

EGKB Biggin Hill

What about installing two Garmin G5 devices – attitude and HSI?

FWIW, my last plane had an Aspen and I loved it. My new plane has a 430W and steam gauges, and I’m trying to make the same decision.

EGEO

An Aspen doesn’t compare with a G500 – as well as half an order of magnitude difference in reliability according to informal surveys in the USA.

When Socata were promoting that mod, they quoted me €48k+VAT for installing it. That included supplying a GNS430W. I could keep my old avionics (so a few k back on US Ebay). This is of course very expensive. One UK shop suggested they could do it for a lot less but the said shop has now lost its two good people, so I am not sure who to recommend for a job this size.

I heard that Socata also sell the STC for that installation. However there may be other STCs covering the same thing adequately.

One issue for me with a G500 would be that only a Garmin dealer can do anything on it – because it needs some kind of a coded card to get into the config. I don’t recall the details.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for your views Gents. Of course the way to go would be to ask a shop for a quote but I was curious to know if it had been done already and how much (with a Rough Order of Magnitude) it would cost.
The TB20GT I’m considering has already a GNS 530W/430 set, so only the G500 unit itself would be required. Given that Garmin sells it for some 18 k$ it would be good to know how much labour goes into the installation itself. Taking the quote given to Peter as reference I’m not sure if it’s wise (speaking for me) to invest an amount representing roughly 1/3 of the airplane value for a G500 upgrade, all other things staying equal.

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Peter wrote:

An Aspen doesn’t compare with a G500

Yes it does, I have made the comparison.

EGKB Biggin Hill

yes , you can also compare apples and oranges
In my opinion the G500 system is on a level higher level then the ASPEN system
I have seen several ASPENs that needed ADC or AHRS calibration (within 3 years) and seen almost no G500 that needed calibration
The great thing i like about the ASPEN is the Back-up battery

Installing the G500 can be done iaw the Garmin G500 AML STC. or you can buy the (expensive) socata STC with kit that comes with a new (LH) instrument panel and a new avionics shelve (to be mounted rh-side behind bagage compartment) to mount some G500 LRU’s
I know an avx shop (B) that did both (one EASA (TB20GT) and one FAA (TB20) )

That’s interesting. I did wonder what the Socata G500 STC had over the AML STC. I guess it requires less work for the installer, and delivers a “more rigorous paperwork solution” for installers who need (or feel they need) a prescriptive STC IM.

The 48k for the Socata installation was IMHO outrageous but they do a gold plated job. They quoted $400k for installing a G1000 in a TBM700…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Socata STC was aviable before the Garmin AML STC came aviable (especially way before the EASA AML STC)
The Socata STC kit wasn’t perfect.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message