Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

May 2014 EuroGA fly-in Mali Losinj LDLO

@AfricanEagle, We’re at Collina. FI03. They have fortunately Tecnam/Rotax service center here. Yesterday they’ve sent my starter to workshop. Hope to get some updates today…

EVCA

A few happy-snaps from the weekend. Strong headwinds outbound meant 6 hrs 5 minutes en route, and we landed with 37 USG (love tip tanks!). Returning on Saturday was a little quicker – 5:30 – with fabulous weather over the Alps. Thanks Peter for organising the weekend!

I’ve also got a short video which I’ll upload in a day or so.

Veli Losinj

Veli Losinj – Peter, Jojo and Dublinpilot approaching

Preparing to leave on Sunday morning

Approaching the Italian coast

Overhead Venice

ADL120 on the left, GTN750 on the right

Last Edited by chrisparker at 27 May 18:17
Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

It was nice to meet you all guys!

We had a great time at Losinj, and enjoyed a scenic low level flight south along the coast to Dubrovnik, together with Patrick from Sweden and pshz and his wife.

The return flight LDLO-EHLE was done direct. We routed via Bolzano and did the 651NM route in 4h40m.

We enjoyed a nice 10-15kts tailwind at FL160…

And… It is obvious who was the REAL pilot amongst us

@chrisparker do you know that in Russian language your airplane’s registration means “angry”? ;)

Last Edited by pshz at 27 May 22:08
EVCA

Ha! No, I didn’t know that, but as I’m 60 this year, I’ll officially be a grumpy old man so it’s probably suitable!

Spending too long online

It was one of the most difficult flights I have ever done.

Peter I expect the usual write up – for your flight and hopefully a Fly In debriefing – for us, the ones who did not make it !
I so which I could have come; it was impossible. Glad you all had a nice time.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Sadly we didn’t get any pictures on the way back… I don’t think I will be doing a writeup because the planning aspect would be the same as for example in last September’s writeup.

However I can do more pics…

My two passengers, looking stressed-out after flying through a few CBs

For the next fly-in, we ought to hire one of these for temporary accomodation

I am sure our members from the former USSR can negotiate a favourable rate, complete with an on-board boutique

We did a boat trip to a nearby island, whose name shall remain as forgotten as what was on it (almost absolutely nothing )

Here is a rather naff video with “authentic” local music in the background

Morning of departure – 9am local. Most of the others had already left and there was nobody in the tower. The IFR clearance thus came from Pula Approach.

We had to go to the left of the filed route to remain VMC. This meant a handover to Padova Radar. The tailwind was good – this is still climbing to FL170

We landed with 26.3 USG, having dodged a lot of stuff on the way. We could have stayed longer but looking at the charts there was no obvious improvement for nearly a week.

This was the MSLP for the return flight

which on past experience can be flown at FL200, but we could not get above FL170 initially.

The GRAMET plots were essentially meaningless, on both flights. This is the one for the return flight, plotted the evening before. It is probably accurate at EGKA (only)

It is OK for winds and temps but not the depiction of IMC.

This is the IR image, on which much of the higher (whiter) stuff was a think haze layer

The TS in Germany had dissipated by the time we flew. This is from 0530 UTC

but there were a few strikes on the stormscope, in the distance.

Being able to climb to FL240 or so would have been really useful. Or even FL200 quickly and reliably. Surprisingly the Jetprop crew didn’t make it there.

I have to be modest in saying this but I think it was a super success. Everybody really enjoyed themselves. For me, it was great to meet up so many really nice people, many of whom I had been in touch by email etc for years. I also had two really great passengers

The weather there was superb, with blue skies on Saturday and Sunday. The enroute weather was however challenging and it is a surprise that so many turned out.

It’s a good Q to ask what made it such a good event.

I think firstly a bunch of really nice people.
But the location was one which had special attractions:

• it was very scenic (“iddylic” was one word used) and with something for everybody (no Zeppelin museum )
  • it was not at all easily accessible commercially so probably nobody had already been there on a cheap holiday
  • it was GA-accessible, for anyone with a reasonable performance aircraft
  • it had Customs, Avgas, IFR, a hard runway, the whole lot

It’s going to be hard to match Losinj for the next fly-in. If it was me, the obvious next place would be Brac LDSB which meets the above criteria and more – it’s bigger, with more to do, more boat trips to good places, but it is another hour to the south. FWIW, t TB20 can usually make it in one go from EKGA but usually can’t make it back unless there is really no wind at all. The flight there is 100/100 for ultra-scenic.

Also I wonder if we really should wait a whole year?

Last Edited by Peter at 28 May 10:57
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Peter, as an adaptor of your IFR strategy (as displayed in your trip reports), I was watching the weather and your flight tracker with great interest.
Were you able to maintain VMC while over the Alps? What was your TAS on FL170?

We were departing 1 day earlier and had perfect weather all the way from Croatia to The Netherlands.

Some pictures of the return flight:

Pula as seen from FL160. CAVOK and great visibility!

Venice Marco Polo airport:

Italian Alps:

I know it is not a TB20, but the DA40 G1000 does also get you there Here flying at FL160 over the alps.
Rudder pedals moved fully forward, so we could stretch our legs. We were doing 135kts TAS @ 5.8USG/h.
At this altitude there is a 100ft difference between the G1000 altimeter and the backup altimeter. On the ground they are indicating an equal value…

The view while flying overhead Innsbruck LOWI:

Over Germany, only a few cumulus clouds. When entering The Netherlands, we were warned for massive gliding activity. ATC did a great job vectoring us to stay clear of gliding areas…

Super pics! I wish we had such views.

Were you able to maintain VMC while over the Alps? What was your TAS on FL170?

On the way to LDLO, it was either VMC between layers or a thin haze (with a low enough temp).

On the way back, it was thicker in places, with a low enough temp most of the time, till we got to Belgium when it got thick but the obvious escape route (a descent) was present.

No significant turbulence.

TAS was about 130-140 I think.

Last Edited by Peter at 28 May 11:24
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And here’s the video:

Last Edited by chrisparker at 28 May 11:32
Spending too long online
Sign in to add your message