Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mountain Flying Malarky

if EASA say “mountainous region” what the hell is that.

EASA (until now) provides no definition for that but leaves it to the member states as before:

FCL.815 Mountain ratings
(a) Privileges
. The privileges of the holder of a mountain rating are to conduct flights with aeroplanes or TMG to and from surfaces designated as requiring such a rating by the appropriate authorities designated by the Member States.
EDDS - Stuttgart

So basically, the French and Swiss Mountain Ratings are being regulated at European level via FCL.

We will basically see no change at the moment so as long as I stick to enroute along the valleys and stay away from swiss glaciers and french altiports, it should not affect anything.

EDHS, Germany

We will basically see no change at the moment …

Exactly. Somewhere on the EASA site it says that the EASA regulation regarding mountain flying will not come into effect before 8 April 2015. By then, I’m sure, they will provide us with all the necessary paperwork… For me as an instructor this is also relevant, because until now, unofficial “Alpine introductory flights” simply meant flying around the "Zugspitze once and doing a couple of circuits at Kempten on the way back.

EDDS - Stuttgart

“Alpine introductory flights” 

sounds like the UK’s “Club Specific Cross Channel Checkout” which is also not legally required but at least the operators get a free baguette and a restock of a few bottles of wine at someone elses expense.

Zugspitze and back, with Schwabisch carbohydrate overload at the end, doesnt seem as appealing

Last Edited by italianjon at 16 Jun 11:48
EDHS, Germany

What is the situation now? It is april 2015 and I don’t find any additional info. If I do the french rating, it will come on my easa license as an easa mountain rating? And am i also ok for swiss with it after the easa mountain rating? The info is not that clear. Does anybody know the correct info about this rating?

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

@Vieke, I very much doubt you need this rating – it is only needed for landing on French and Swiss altiports and glaciers. Even if you want to land at Courcheval, you don’t need the full rating, just a site checkout.

To fly in the mountains, you don’t need any special rating.

EGEO

Hi jwoolard, I know it is not that essential. But I want to know the current ( after 15/4/2015) situation. In the past, a french mountain rating was not put on an uk license f.e. ( I read this somewhere). Is the french now an easa mountain rating? What about the swiss one? The remaining restrictions ( if they are still there) etc. Etc.

For courchevel, you need to fly in every 6 months. Also for a lot of other french altiports with base rating.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I did all my training in Switzerland. During the PPL we had a mountain flight with explanations how to check weather, take care of winds, cross mountain ridges and mix properly, but it is not a separate rating. Some clubs put their own rules though: you are not allowed to go to specific airports with their airplanes without going there at least once with a FI. However these are not country specific or EASA regulations.

Samedan LSZS introduced a mandatory briefing with an online test several years ago. They also require a flight with a FI if you are flying a category A aircraft and have not been there in the last two years. You can find more here: http://www.engadin-airport.ch/For-pilots.7.0.html?&L=1.

In this regard I think a mountain rating is not required for any normal airfield in Switzerland. I know there are special courses for glacier landings and maybe that’s where you get more information.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Well, there are several altiports in France where you need to have either a special site license or a mountain rating. Otherwise you cannot land there.

EDLE, Netherlands

Yes. And some of those are not nearly as “difficult” as one may think. Hence, even non-expert mountain pilots might like to fly there. The most laughable example of course is La Mole.

But even Sallanches, Albertville and Mont-Dauphin are not really diificult if you know how to fly in the mountains.

Still, the situation will not improve I guess, i.e. the currency requirements for the EASA mountain rating will not be any easier than those of the cuurent French one.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 Apr 07:34
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message