Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My First IFR Trip (Jersey) - picking up the IFR clearance

So now I’ve finally found a share in an a/c that I’d feel comfortable flying an IFR route in and has the equipment to do so; its time to take the plunge and plan my first IFR flight!

I’ve chosen Jersey as its a nice distance and I’ve been there before VFR.

For info, I’m a CPL/IR holder but I feel that the IR syllabus only seems to cover an “airline” style routing where you talk to a Delivery – Tower – Radar – Control and everything flows easily from one to the next.

As the aircraft is based at a non towered strip and I did all my training from a large towered airport, I’ve got loads of questions… some I’ve found the answer out myself and some I’m hoping you chaps can help with.

So first of all I’ve used the auto-router to successfully validate this Z flight plan

ZZZZ N0125F100 GAM/N0125F100 IFR DCT DTY DCT CPT Y321 PEPIS Q41 ORTAC JSY1A EGJJ

I’ve planned FL100 as the a/c is not fitted with supplementary oxygen.

The problem I’m having us understanding what initially needs to be done once airborne.

So lets presume I’ve gone wheels up at my filed time without talking to another human up to that point.

I presume my first contact will be Doncaster Radar, who should have a copy of my flight plan from Eurocontrol, as I initially remain OCAS on track Gamston.

I now have less than 10 mins before I reach the edge of the Doncaster CAS to get my clearance.

Do I need to ask them to activate my IFR flight plan or does this happen automatically when I call them asking for clearance to enter CAS on track Gamston?

Would this be a sufficient initial call…

Doncaster Radar G-XXXX, basic service

G-XX Doncaster Radar pass your message

“Doncaster Radar G-XX, crossing the M62 motorway on track GAM, 2000ft, request IFR clearance to Jersey as filed”

Does mentioning “as filed” prompt them to check their system to bring up my FPL and see my filed routing and FL?

Hopefully at that point they’ll give me a clearance to enter and climb into CAS and that point it should be a relatively easy handover from one enroute ATSU to another just like in my training.

Hopefully my questions don’t seem too dumb.

I look forward to any clarification.

Kind Regards

C-R

You have three options, call swanwick 30 minutes before takeoff time (so 20 minutes before EOBT – if you call earlier you will be just told to call later as the flight plan does not populate before then) on +44 1489 612449 and ask them for your initial clearance (which will consist of squawk, initial frequency, initial routing and most importantly you will be told to remain outside controlled airspace – you have to read it back).
Second option, call london information with pretty much all standard information (who, where, what do you want and estimate for your next waypoint) + takeoff time (they need this to activate your flight plan).
Third option – as above, but with local LARS unit.

United Kingdom

I also find saying IFR pickup tells people you are expecting to pick up your IFR flightplan

EGTK Oxford
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message