Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ECAC Status for homebuilt / experimental (flight privileges within Europe)

I don’t see the same problem.

If the aircraft isn’t being flown, then clearly you don’t need to keep looking for extension. You don’t need any permission to simply leave an aircraft in a hangar. You only need permission if you want to fly it. So if it’s 3 months in maintenance, then you only apply for permission at the end of the three months to fly it home.

If it’s a genuine job, then I would imagine that the permission is very forthcoming. If on the other hand you’re permanently based in the “foreign country” and religiously fly it out on the 28th day and bank on the 29th day, then they could well be happy to have the opportunity to find a “loophole in your loophole” ;) I can’t imagine that if a foreign aircraft on a temporary visit got stuck and needed maintenance that took longer than 28 days, that the required permission would be anything other than a formality.

As with most things in life, people are accommodating and willing to help, so long as you aren’t trying to take the p. Try to abuse the system, and they’ll try to find ways to abuse back!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

As with most things in life, people are accommodating and willing to help, so long as you aren’t trying to take the p. Try to abuse the system, and they’ll try to find ways to abuse back!

That is the “banana republic” type of lawmaking, however

It means that you can do what you like until you p1ss off somebody “big” and then the sky falls in on you.

Quite likely this reg was drafted on the back of a fag packet while working through a pint of Guinness And the UK one is the same…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was browsing the Hungarian AIP for some other reason and remembered that the original list contained no information about my country. In summary, homebuilts, microlights etc. may fly in Hungary under day VFR conditions without restrictions or special permission. EU aircraft with limited certificate of airworthiness may also fly without any special permissions.

Hungary AIP GEN 1.2 – 6 (emphasis mine)

3.1.2.1 Conditions for permission of flights for foreign aircraft with limited airworthiness
a. No permission to enter the airspace of Hungary is required for aircraft with a limited certificate of airworthiness or permit to fly issued by the aviation authority of EU Member States in accordance with Annex (Part 21) to Commission Regulation (EU) No 748/2012 and its amendments, validity of which is automatically recognised within the meaning of Article 11 of Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council as amended.
b. All foreign aircraft with certificate other than stated in para 3.1.2.1.a. must obtain permission for entering and/or flight activities within the Hungarian airspace.
The application must be submitted by the operator at least 5 days before aircraft enters Hungarian airspace with the purpose of the flight, intended destination aerodrome (if any), expected route through the Hungarian airspace to the NTA AA.
The application for permission shall be substantiated by copies of the following documents:
1. Certificate of Registration
2. Airworthiness Certificate including established operational limitations (if issued)
3. Permit to Fly including the conditions (if issued)
4. Proof of annual inspection (if issued)
5. Differences from the ICAO Annex 6 and 8
6. Noise Certificate (if issued)
7. Proof of third-party liability insurance
8. Air Operator Certificate or equivalent if any
9. Congruence RVSM, B-RNAV, Mode-S, ATC, ACAS II, FM immunity
10. Licence of pilot-in-command
The permission may be issued with time and/or any other operational restrictions. Duration of the permission will generally be granted for the purpose by the end of the validity of the Permit to Fly.

3.1.2.2 Light aircraft for sporting activities (e.g. LSA, micro lights, autogyro, home-built aircraft, light glider, hang glider and other types of sport flying devices) with National Certificate of Airworthiness or Permit to Fly can use the Hungarian airspace under the following conditions:
Light aircraft
a. has individual registry or identification mark,
b. has a valid technical certificate (e.g. certificate of airworthiness, permit to fly or other equivalent document) issued by the State of Registry or state of identification, as relevant,
c. has a valid third party liability insurance certificate covers the Hungarian territory,
d. is not used for commercial flight operation.
Pilot
a. has a valid pilot licence (or other equivalent document) for relevant type of light aircraft required by the State of Registry or state of identification, as relevant,
b. has a valid medical certificate (if not part of the pilot licence),
c. performs flights by VFR/day in accordance with limitations or conditions specified in technical certificate.
Last Edited by JnsV at 08 May 22:38
Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

It looks to me, no permission is only for EASA limited airworthiness certificate. All others must apply 5 days up front. No mention of ECAC either.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Administrator

@yesombre and others
Any conclusive info or list on the details of flying an n-reg experimental in different european countries?

I’d be interested if it is a allowed to permanently base an n-reg experimental e.g. in austria. Aip AT link https://eaip.austrocontrol.at/lo/190426/PART_1/LO_GEN_1_5_en.pdf local copy

Last Edited by Snoopy at 04 May 23:05
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I’d be interested if it is a allowed to permanently base an n-reg experimental e.g. in austria. Aip AT link

Ask the appropriate authority.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Ask the appropriate authority.

In the AIP link I posted it says exactly that, with a very vague description of what to submit. My question was therefore directed to other EuroGA members who might have some experience.

From yesombre I know that the Austrian authority takes 300€ to fly an N-reg Experimental there and that the duration of the permit is negotiable.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 05 May 10:18
always learning
LO__, Austria

Some info on N-reg homebuilt ops in Europe is here.

Administrator

Update on uncertified aircraft privileges for Belgium

The last line is interesting, in that it follows the same move in France and the UK. Overall, this suggests a general move to block “foreign reg homebuilts” while not blocking overflight and casual visitation.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message