Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ECAC Status for homebuilt / experimental (flight privileges within Europe)

If you are based in the UK anyway, just simply transfer it on the UK-register (which is possible in contrast to Germany)

EDLE

I don’t think it is always easy. I think you couldn’t in your current configuration, because of your panel. However you do have the option of going through the Modification Approval process or replacing any non LAA approved parts, in this case the panel.

So yes, you can change to G-Reg.

I would change to D-Reg if I could, as I know you would have done too :)

Last Edited by italianjon at 02 Sep 15:04
EDHS, Germany

ORS4 # 909 here

That’s pretty clear that even if, having entered the UK, it sits in a hangar, it becomes illegal after 28 days!

That presumably means that even Ground Risks insurance will be void, because all aviation insurance stipulates the aircraft must be legal, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That’s pretty clear that even if, having entered the UK, it sits in a hangar, it becomes illegal after 28 days!

Not at all. It says max 28 days – “without the prior permission of the CAA”. Longer stay than 28 days require prior permission, that’s all.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Of course, but will you get it?

I don’t think you will get it because if it was easy the UK would be full of N-reg homebuilts!

Just think of the advantages…

• no LAA inspector
  • no annual flight test
  • just need an A&P signoff
  • no SBs or ADs apply
  • a great choice of models
Administrator

All those advantages are checked everywhere else except the UK

I think you are stretching it a bit. Paragraph 1 say: “in order to facilitate over-flights and visits to the UK by foreign registered home-built aircraft…” If you purchase an N-reg homebuilt and take it home to the UK, that can hardly be described as over-flight or visit.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I understand, that the general exemption 3363 applies for homebuilt-aircraft registered in ECAC-memberstates only, not for N-reg. That is a major difference in Germany as well.

EDLE

Peter wrote:

I don’t think you will get it because if it was easy the UK would be full of N-reg homebuilts!

I understand that the LAA will accept a foreign homebuilt onto the G-Reg, if it complies with the LAA specifications. i.e. only approved modifications etc. Therefore I think you will get it if you bring you aircraft to the UK and have applied to transfer to the UK registration and are going through a process, such as a modification approval for a mod on the aircraft, or you are working on the aircraft in order to retrofit non-approved modifications with approved ones. Or even going through a type approval.

However, of course Peter, you live on the south coast, so an overnight in France every 28 days might get you round that one ….. oh hang on it’s Blighty, can you guarantee VFR weather across the channel when you need it

And incidentally, why N-Reg homebuilts?… as soon as you are in the home built scene the N-Reg advantage disappears completely – there are European registrations for homebuilts that are better than the N-Reg.

Last Edited by italianjon at 02 Sep 18:36
EDHS, Germany

And incidentally, why N-Reg homebuilts?… as soon as you are in the home built scene the N-Reg advantage disappears completely – there are European registrations for homebuilts that are better than the N-Reg.

Probably not once you are not the original builder.

On a G-reg there is no difference, due to the “regulatory oversight” every year which is in some ways stricter than on a certified G-reg (annual perf flight tests have been abolished on the latter). On an N-reg the difference is trivial (A&P signoff) and this would make N-reg homebuilts very attractive in the UK.

so an overnight in France every 28 days might get you round that one

I agree that the UK reg “sounds” like it would allow that method to get around the 28-day limit, in which case it was drafted by an idiot Still, in a country with a proper legal system, any ambiguity in the law has to be construed against the party seeking to rely on it, hey?

I understand that the LAA will accept a foreign homebuilt onto the G-Reg, if it complies with the LAA specifications

Indeed

Try importing a Lancair Evolution. The one I have seen “around” is OK-reg so the Czechs are ahead of the game there

Administrator

Le Svig,

thank you for compiling this list, very useful indeed for reference.

Incidently, I notice that Bulgaria is missing. Any information on how it is handled there? I noticed quite a few LZ-reg homebuilts last time I looked so the scene is there.

Also very interesting that only a few unfortunatley rather important states keep the IFR ban and other dealbreakers for experimentals. If you operate outside Austria, Germany, UK, Ireland and the ones who don’t seem to have made their mind up, experimentals can be rather interesting I’d say.

Yet, the actual reason why also in the US experimentals are on the march is wrong in principle. If it is necessary to circumnavigate legislation in order to operate as you should be then there is something absolutely wrong with the legislation, especcially if it happens in the numbers we see. It can not really be in the intention and purpose of regulators to drive people away from certified airplanes with ridiculous demands and then waive all of that in the experimental market. The result is exactly how it is, tens of thousands of experimentals, very few of which are actually homebuilt, are popular simply for the reason that they circumnavigate the law.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message