Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PPL and making a living as a youtuber (and YT advertising policies)

I have no idea how YT works! Some posts are truly low production value phone videos with no obvious content (one poster has shaky videos of aircraft flying in the distance over his backyard) but attract thousands of views, while this beautiful high production value vintage Bonanza video has had only 407 views!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

So any creator using commercial music’s video would automatically be monetised (as a creator if you use commercial music you can no longer demonetise).
YouTube now even monetise videos, which don’t have any commercial music included. In the current general conditions of YT, it is mentioned, that YT might also monetise videos, without any further reason. It’s simple: Either you become YT-Partner and can earn some money from their ads, or you use commercial music songs, or you keep your videos completely roalty free, but still getting ads without any benefit. YT simply likes to sell their Premium subscriptions, so they make it for all their unsubscribed visitors very unpleasend with more and longer ads.

RobertL18C wrote:
Some posts are truly low production value phone videos with no obvious content (one poster has shaky videos of aircraft flying in the distance over his backyard) but attract thousands of views, while this beautiful high production value vintage Bonanza video has had only 407 views!
Very true. That is the secret YT-algorithm, which might push a lot of trash videos. When it comes to aviation related content, one gets overwehlmed with US-youtubers or many German ultralight stuff (at least when visiting YT from Germany).
Switzerland

Very true. That is the secret YT-algorithm, which might push a lot of trash videos. When it comes to aviation related content, one gets overwehlmed with US-youtubers or many German ultralight stuff (at least when visiting YT from Germany).

I think that is only a part of it. The other part is that, as posted previously, to get a lot of followers you have to pump your videos all over social media. I use FB a little (mostly to stay in touch with old friends and have a laugh at some non-PC jokes ) and I see YT flying vids pumped all the time, everywhere on FB, and presumably everywhere else too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One thing I’ve noticed with YT, when visiting the UK we get far more ads (almost to the point I want to turn off). Back home I get at most one ad at the start, and occasionally one mid-roll (if the channel owner hasn’t disabled them). I’ve noticed this with other things – e.g. the Channel 5 app on the Apple TV device, the only ads we get are for other Channel 5 shows. Presumably they just don’t have any ads for my region.

Andreas IOM

Snoopy wrote:

Anyone else noticed the massive increase in 15 or 30 second ads on YouTube? Very annoying.

I would happily pay to get rid of the ads as long as the cost is reasonable – but it isn’t. YT want’s something like €140/year. That’s more than I pay for HBO.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Dec 10:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I would happily pay to get rid of the ads as long as the cost is reasonable – but it isn’t. YT want’s something like €140/year. That’s more than I pay for HBO.

I could’ve if I was sure that all traffic from hope router is free of ads, no login, but that is not the case.
So:
1. I have allow them monetise my personal data AND
2. I have to pay them for that?!

No, sorry.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

The other part is that, as posted previously, to get a lot of followers you have to pump your videos all over social media.
Yes, that’s true indeed. But it isn’t always a guarantee that your videos will get populair. It also depends on the day and time of publication. Not just on YT, but also when you post a link on social media. And it might differ also from country to country. Another thing is a “clickbait title”, which I don’t like and would never post below my videos, but it works… unfortunately… Furthermore, a decend video description, thumbnail and tags works as well. But from all of my videos, only the one flying over the Swiss Alps got really populair. I think this is a combination of Matterhorn in the thumbnail and the “VFR over Swiss Alps” title, which seems to be a common search item.

And last but not least… all it takes is also a bit of luck. First of all, I don’t produce my flying videos to get many views, but to share it with those, how are truely interested. According to YT statistics, 1 out of 3 viewers view my videos from begin to end. I guess, thats pretty decent ratio.
Last Edited by Frans at 24 Dec 11:09
Switzerland

It seems nothing has changed since troubadours went from town to town telling stories.
The only real difference is the size of the potential audience that it is possible to reach in one moment.
Sex, has always sold. But these days and with YT business model starting a video with a good looking couple bonking away on the wing of a Bonanza will no longer get airtime as the advertisers don’t like it, quite apart from the damage it might do to your Bonanza.
Good looking female pilots do draw a larger audience on you tube in the same way as Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansen and others bring an audience to the cinema.
But it isn’t just the looks that draws an audience, often these female pilots are simply better communicators and tell a better story than many of their male counterparts.
Would a male pilot who looks like Brad Pitt in a tight vest to show off his six pack teĺling a similar story to the same standard, attract a similar audience. My initial thought is no, because one believes the piloting audience is mainly male. But I could be wrong maybe it would have the effect of drawing more females into the GA world.
And that’s the point, have spent a lifetime in the film, and television industry as one of the film moguls once “there is on thing we do know and that is we know nothing”.
But if I was advising someone who wants clicks, is to first ask themselves if the video they wish to post is really just a home movie or something that should appeal to a larger audience and why
The second is to realise that editing isn’t about just getting rid of the bad bits.
I am no expert on YT and was surprised 2 years ago when having been asked by a charity if I would edit a video for them. I did and they posted it on YT. They rang me a week later to thank me effusively. They had received 1000 views in the first 24hours and 10,000 hit by the end of the week. I was shocked when they told me they had never had so many hits before, even with the same footage.
To me having got 2million views for a one off showing, in one country, of a more niche audience documentary.
I am told if one can garner 2million viewers on YT they wiuld certainly be making tempting offers.
So can you make a living out of YT? The answer is yes if you have the right product.
In that way it is no different from any of the other media outlets.

France

My most viewed flying video has got 140k views over 14 years, in glorious standard definition :-)

Andreas IOM

I’ll boost the number by 1 this evening

France
Sign in to add your message