Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

Yes, the instructor should have specifically noted "VP"and “RU” in the logbook (and he should know). This is what would allow you (legally speaking) to fly say, a Mooney, a 177RG, a Beech Bonanza, or similar, without any further flight training.

Just noting “Piper Arrow” is not good, even though it is evident that this includes VO and RU.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks boscomantico, I’ll ask them to include that as well the next time I’m around.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

This site usefully has the language for FAA endorsements.

http://faaflighttest.us/pilot_endorse.html

Note the Arrow qualifies for complex, but not for 61.63 (f) high performance. This requires sign off in an aircraft with an engine with more than 200 HP. A Seneca 1 with 400 HP total does not qualify, as each engine is only 200 HP.

Therefore your Arrow sign off does not make you legal, in FAA terms, for a Bonanza, or a 182, for that matter.

All N reg operators with engines above 200 HP should check they have 61.63(f) in the logbook.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

In EASA land the following should be endorsed in the logbook:

Differences training (RU, VP, as applicable) has been completed in accordance with Part.FCL.710.

Signed Instructor
Date
Name of Instructor
Licence number

Cheers

Jonathan
EGMD

A lot of “FAA complex” owners of N-regs don’t have that signoff

It’s easily forgotten; not something that gets picked up in Europe. An FAA CFI should know about it of course but if you have been N-reg for years then nobody will think about whether you ever got it done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jonathan wrote:

In EASA land the following should be endorsed in the logbook:
Differences training (RU, VP, as applicable) has been completed in accordance with Part.FCL.710.

Interesting, I have in my logbook: “qualified on M020”, that means I fly RU en VP but don’t have the endorsement. Next time I will ask it my FI/FE.

For the other types I have: “checkout C172SPG1000/C172/C152: satisfactory”
What is the difference?

I am trained with full glass cockpit (Avidyne), so after my PPL I should have the EFIS endorsement, but it is not like that in my logbook, so also again: I don’t have any endorsement although I fly Glasscockpit G1000/Avidyne and analog?

Last Edited by Vieke at 21 Feb 14:24
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Peter wrote:

A lot of “FAA complex” owners of N-regs don’t have that signoff

I doubt that VERY much. Nobody here will rent you a complex / high-power airplane w/o it. Also, you’d be flying sans license and insurance.

Unless of course you had time in complex or high perf type before the FAA endorsement rules came into effect, on August 4th, 1997

April 15th, 1991 for tailwheel planes.

In that case you don’t need the endorsement, and I’d imagine that would be the case for a lot of European pilots who have been flying N-Reg for years, almost by defintion.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Feb 16:49

I guess Peter was only referring to “in Europe”.

Under EASA, legally, there are no “checkouts” in specific aircraft types within the SEP class and shouldn’t be endorsed as such such by instructors. What should be endorsed is the “features”, i.e. “RU”, VP, etc.

However, I guess it will take another two generations of instructors to get used to that it seems.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s a bit relieving to see that not only my school does not apply these endorsments as they should.

boscomantico wrote:

However, I guess it will take another two generations of instructors to get used to that it seems.

Especially if new pilots (and that includes very much new instructors) are not encouraged to look up authoritative information themselves, but are spoonfed with “knowledge” passing from generation to generation.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
Sign in to add your message