Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

JnsV, are you sure the guy you flew with is an instructor? May be you should check his licence, because as he thinks that a Piper Arrow requires a type rating, and that an instructor may deliver a type rating, I’m wondering.

Paris, France

Piotr_Szut wrote:

JnsV, are you sure the guy you flew with is an instructor? May be you should check his licence, because as he thinks that a Piper Arrow requires a type rating, and that an instructor may deliver a type rating, I’m wondering.

I’m sure that he is instructor. :-) He has been one for more than 30 years and works for the largest ATO in the country. They very well know that it is no longer a type rating*, but it is still the only section of the logbook that has a convenient format for listing the relevant information. A type endorsment is also usually done in the rear of the logbook, but at this time they did not have their aprorpriate stamp for that. Based on the thread I have asked another instructor from the same ATO and he confirmed that they never do the differences training entries in the logbook.

*Maybe never was in its truest sense, but in Hungary it’s so commonly called this way that I believe that there were type ratings for SEPs until EASA came. On the website of another school I’ve even seen it written that they require a type rating for flying their Cessna 172.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

What do you do when your logbook is full and you start a new one? Do you copy all endorsements and glue them in the new logbook, or do you carry your old logbooks in case someone should ask you to document e.g. a specific difference training? or do you just forget about it and never worry?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

There is no requirement to carry the logbooks, only to produce them in a reasonable time, so you can provide the old one on request if it ever comes up.

Biggin Hill

Nobody has ever wanted to see my log book to check my difference trainings (although I’ve had 4 ramp checks in France for licence, airworthiness etc.)
I suggest to keep a list at the first page of the logbook with your endorsements, and the date at which you were trained to make the search easier just in case.
Each time I fill a page, a take a picture of it with my phone, just in case my paper logbook would vanish.

Paris, France

FCL.710 Class and type ratings — variants
(c) The differences training shall be entered in the pilot’s logbook or equivalent record and signed by the instructor as appropriate.

That is all that is required!

The CAA did produce stickers in an attempt to standardise the procedure however; after the first batch were exhausted, no more were ever produced! I still have two sheets left.

boscomantico wrote:

Just noting “Piper Arrow” is not good, even though it is evident that this includes VO and RU.

So I did my VP, RU and TW (? – tailwheel) training before the advent of part-FCL. What are you supposed to do in that case? My logbooks have record of type conversion training (not type ratings!) on relevant aircraft types (PA32R and PA18) signed off by instructors.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

What are you supposed to do in that case?

If you can show that you flew the difference befote the rules changed then you have grandfather rights. There is no need for any training done prior to Part FCL or even JAR-FCL, to have been signed off. Lets face it there is no requirement to log VFR; IFR or landings either.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 06 Mar 13:16

Tumbleweed wrote:

If you can show that you flew the difference befote the rules changed then you have grandfather rights. There is no need for any training done prior to Part FCL or even JAR-FCL, to have been signed off. Lets face it there is no requirement to log VFR; IFR or landings either.

In Sweden before part-FCL there was a requirement equivalent to differences training for basically every new type you flew – completely unrelated to type ratings – so I indeed have instructor signoffs of aircraft with retractable gear, constant speed prop and tailwheel.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Differences training, and endorsement logbook entry: implicit due to variant?

I think that I know the answer but would like to check.

I have CAA for life and EASA PPL, single engine, multi engine, night +IMC.
Today I was asked to ferry a Turbo Arrow (still awaiting full details), however it is long time since I have flown a turbocharged aircraft, the last flight was sometime in 1998 or 1999 in a C-421C (have about 40h on it).

Do I need to go via official difference training or have I got “grandfather rights”? If I will take the flight I plan to fly the aircraft around the local area for few hours in order to become familiar with it.

Thanks.

Sign in to add your message