Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

Thanks Dimme!
I can’t find anything in the regulations where it is mentioned what differences training means exactly and that a logbook signature by an FI is required.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The fact that you need an FI is the main difference between differences and familiarization training. It must be mentioned somewhere but digging in regulations is not my specialty either. This is what I was taught in the multiple flight schools I have attended.

ESME, ESMS

Maybe it’s a myth started by a national authority ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

I can’t find anything in the regulations where it is mentioned what differences training means exactly and that a logbook signature by an FI is required.

An explanation is given in guidance material to Part-FCL:

GM1 FCL.710 Class and type ratings — variants. Differences and familiarisation training
(a) Differences training requires the acquisition of additional knowledge and training on an
appropriate training device or the aircraft.
(b) Familiarisation training requires the acquisition of additional knowledge

An entry in the personal flying logbook for differences training is required by FCL.710(c) or, in the case of privilege extensions on a LAPL(A), FCL.135.A.

And then there’s “differences recency” in FCL.710(b):

If the variant has not been flown within a period of 2 years following the differences training,
further differences training or a proficiency check in that variant shall be required to maintain the
privileges, except for types or variants within the single-engine piston and TMG class ratings.

London, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

I think that is my understanding as well, from common knowledge tough no ref in the rules…

The myths as far I can quote are:
- “Turbo aberration”: if engine is FADEC, then T on a DA40 does not count for a P28T
- “Prop aberration”: if prop & throttle are single lever, then VP on a DA40 does not count for a P28T
I will live longer to hear that you need a diff training for VP if it is variable angle or constant speed…

PS: in TMG/microlights, you can fly any types/variants (e.g. tail-wheel+vp+rg+sea…) with no sign-off, just read the poh and off you go (nonetheless, for tail-wheel bit I went and did a proper sep+tw training after some scary cross-wind landings on tarmac with tmg+tw), but not sure if this is true neither

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Nov 11:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A lot of people who rent out airplanes also insist that new pilots fly with an FI first, particularly if there are things which need explaining and hands on experience.

e.g I do that for my plane for several reasons. (And I can’t do that myself legally as I do not have a CRI or FI)

1st I am glad to have a feedback by the FI whether the new pilot is capable and displays an attitude towards the plane which is up to expectations. (So far we did not have to reject anyone on these grounds)
2nd the plane has got some things which need to be seen and exercised, such as the manual gear, less so the manual flaps but certainly the rather complex and unique avionics setup which has quite a few gotchas that need explaining.

Most people are happy to do this, including Mooney pilots of later models who have never seen the manual stuff.

Clearly it is a massive difference if someone who has lots of experience on different planes e.t.c. jumps into something he has never seen before and flies away with it, due preparation or not, or the rather more usual 12 hour / year pilots. Also it is quite a difference if someone who flies a C172 bog standard wants to fly a similar PA28 to changing to a more complex type.

In the end, it is up to the individuals but I would always feel more comfy having had a proper introduction to a new airplane I fly by someone who knows it well. It doesn’t have to be the law to tell me that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Qalupalik wrote:

An entry in the personal flying logbook for differences training is required by FCL.710(c)

Thank you, that’s it!

FCL.710(c)
(c) The differences training shall be entered in the pilot’s logbook or equivalent record and signed by the instructor as appropriate…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Difference training is very poorly described in the regs and I think most relevant phrases are mentioned above.
As there is much room for interpretation, practice vary wildly between states and even between flight schools (or between instructors, as an ATO is not required to perform a diff.tr.)

From my experience:
Some would have you perform a diff.tr. if you were trained on a tailwheel aircraft and wanted to convert to nosewheel, some would not.
Some would require diff.tr. before you fly a Aspen EFIS equipped plane because that would qualify for a glass cockpit – some would not.
Some would think that Garmin glass cockpit training would cover flying Avidyne glass cockpits also – some would not.
Some would require Single Engine Lever transition diff. training for you to fly a Cirrus without its prop lever – some would not.
And so on.

The only document I know with a thorough description of the various difference training types and when to perform them is in the British LASOR aka. CAP804, could be in the old versions only. Of course that would not be authoritative in an EASA context but I find it a useful guide.

Last Edited by huv at 27 Nov 15:23
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Hi, Yesterday in the UK I just completed my training for SEP Complex Differences, i.e. VP/RG, which involved:

1. The school having (a) the theoretical knowledge in the form of ~10 page set of notes; (b) a non-evaluated quiz on this and the aircraft; and (c) a training checklist (to record the flights, mark that all procedures, knowledge, etc had been covered) signed by student and instructor at completion;

2. The instructor placing a differences training sticker in my logbook, and writing on it the nature of the differences (VP/RG), the aircraft (PA28R), his name, caa number, date and signature. The logbook does not need to go to the CAA.

There is no specific time requirement. 5 hours is nominal. Mine was less, but also a bit longer since I was new to the school and the training doubled up to cover dual-check, airfield operations and local flight area.

Note the full FCL 710 below re. the 24 month requirement (but which excludes SEP).

Last Edited by matthew_gbr at 20 Dec 12:22
EGL*, United Kingdom

Yes, on the paperwork side, we are complicating things more and more for ourselves. Most of it is CYA. Same with some flight instructors, particularly FAA ones when doing BFRs. Many nowadays do the oral part in the form of a written Q&A game and then store it, so if one day (within the next two years) something happens with the pilot and the FAA comes along, they can at least show that they have tried to cover the relevant FAR 61 requirements.

Re the sticker in the logbook. Well yes, you can do that (which looks fancy), but you can just as well use a pen and write these few words by hand.

On the flying side, the amont of times it takes really can vary from pilot to pilot. We have dozens of times discussed here that flying schools (especially UK ones ) tend to drag it on to maximize the hours flown, and that it usually takes less time if done outside an ATO (which is totally allowed). But again, some people simply need the time. It also depends a lot on which aircraft type is being flown for the dfifferences training and which one has been flown previously. Thinking of the Debonair that I am flying at the moment, if you want to cover all the procedures, characteristics, quirks and foibles of this machine, and really get the pilot “on par” with it, it can really take quite some hours. If that guy has previously only flown Katanas or some such, it can take lots of hours.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Dec 13:51
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message