Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

mh wrote:

You need to take a pan-european view. In Germany, I had to get differences training even when I moved from a C172 to a PA28 with the same engine. And then, again, to a Morane. For every aircraft one difference training.

It was the same in Sweden…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Careful with the OSD requirement. Some manufacturers now stipulate the equivalent of Type Rating training within the OSD!!!!

Ouch! Any examples?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

For every aircraft one difference training.
It was the same in Sweden…

Same also in CZ. I cannot fly a 172 though I have a type rating for a 150/152. At one time in the past they were considered the same type.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

@coda
If the 152/172 both have the same instruments, prop, gear etc… why not? This is EU law!
And, I believe there are no typeratings for SEP.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 08 Jan 15:41
always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t know. I trained in CZ from ab initio and haven’t flown anywhere else so I have nothing to compare to, but I definitely was told by multiple people I’d need a checkout in a 172 and instructor sign off before anyone would allow me to fly it. It made sense to me.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Coda wrote:

I don’t know. I trained in CZ from ab initio and haven’t flown anywhere else so I have nothing to compare to, but I definitely was told by multiple people I’d need a checkout in a 172 and instructor sign off before anyone would allow me to fly it.

There is a difference what you licence grants you to do (that is: If you have flown a C152, you can legally fly a C172 or PA28, unless you add a constant speed prop, a glass cockpit, turbo charging, retractable gear, single lever power control, a tailwheel or – but you won’t find it on a PA28 or C172 – a pressurized cabin).

However:
Every owner of a plane can put on additional rules before renting out his aircraft. He could say that renting is only allowed for red-haired, blue eyed gremlins who like to travel to their granny in a pink nightgown. That’s totally up to him. But the CAA cannot limit you to a C152 and demand a flight with a FI. All EASA wants, is that you familiarize with the aircraft. That means you have to aquire additional knowledge about the aircraft. That CAN be by FI, but it can be okay to just read the manual.

In the end, you are supposed to self-evaluate how much additional training you feel comfortable with. With low experience, a new type can be a handful, even if it’s just a Piper Warrior. A flight with a FI can be wise, but is not demanded.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I think you are referring to a random club or insurance checkout (if that C170 was yours then you don’t need anything apart from an insurer)

Someone, I know bought a high performance self launch single seat glider, got it insured, did a quick read of the book and “just flew it” to the surprise of many CFIs/FIs who do conversion/checkout, the only thing that did backfire on him was “noise complains from the neighbor”

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I think you are referring to a random club or insurance checkout

Or the multiple people Code referred to were not aware that this requirement in older national rules does not exist in part-FCL. Or it could possibly be FUD.

In the UK, if you trained in say a PA28 you would definitely need a checkout in a C172 before anybody would rent you one. It’s not FUD at all.

If I was renting out a C172 I would absolutely require a renter with only PA28 experience to have a checkout flight. Whether I would bill him for that at the full price is another matter; a smart option would be to do so and do a partial refund upon a successful return of the 172. It may not be legally required but it damn well is practically necessary, unless you vet renters in some other way, perhaps informally.

What is simply wrong is to require somebody who has flown a lot around say the UK to require a checkout flight to fly to Le Touquet. This is common in the UK too, but to be fair PPL training is so limited in its scope that there may be a real concern about a low hours pilot even finding the place. I have known such pilots.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message