Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

pilotrobbie wrote:

Of course not, but Stapleford do have the VOR/DME cloud-break to get to/from the airfield. All there IR/CPL stuff is done from there anyway. Just need an 800ft cloud-base and sufficient visibility.

Sorry, always was confused with minimums required for non-IAP airfield.
Why 800ft AAL? I though it is 1000ft above the highest obstacle in the 5 mile radius? Actually, more than 5 mile radius – if you descend inside in the ATZ, then 7 mile radius.
What am I missing again?

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Why 800ft AAL?

My guess is someone (= an instructor at the local school) designed the procedure and decided it that way. Maybe because there used to be a mast (forgot what height)?

SERA states:

Minimum levels
Except when necessary for take-off or landing, or except when specifically authorised by the
competent authority, an IFR flight shall be flown at a level which is not below the minimum
flight altitude established by the State whose territory is overflown, or, where no such minimum
flight altitude has been established:
(1) over high terrain or in mountainous areas, at a level which is at least 600 m (2 000 ft)
above the highest obstacle located within 8 km of the estimated position of the aircraft;
(2) elsewhere than as specified in (1), at a level which is at least 300 m (1 000 ft) above the
highest obstacle located within 8 km of the estimated position of the aircraft.

However, one could argue that this is for take off and landing, and thus descend lower than 1000 ft above highest obstacle. I don’t see anywhere that it is mandatory to use a procedure to descend below.

There is an AOC only approved procedure-the VOR DME procedure is for training purposes only. The 1,000’ AGL 5nm radius rule still applies. This radius technically includes the Kelvedon mast at 503’ amsl.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

There is a pile of these approaches. Some designed by flying schools for training (which is done mostly in VMC) and some owned by AOC operators who retained the “intellectual property rights” (no kidding!) in the procedure. I have a collection of these…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

There is a pile of these approaches. Some designed by flying schools for training (which is done mostly in VMC) and some owned by AOC operators who retained the “intellectual property rights” (no kidding!) in the procedure. I have a collection of these…

Can you send them to me :) Noe wrote:

Reach out to kilodelta.aero. He will come to the airfield of your choice and do it in your aircraft. If he’s not available, he might recommend someone else that might do it too.
I did my MEP / upgrade SEIR → MEIR with him and he was always very open and pragmatic.

Yeah that’s very helpful. He’s SE England based right? But presumably I’d still have to do with an ATO, as he’s not an ATO?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

He works with ATOs. The website might be out of date. It just works.

Journey to the CB-IR

I am about to start the journey to achieving the full IR. In reality, I can do the maximum possible outside of the ATO to get my skills up to scratch using the IR(R). I’ll be flying to airports that have IAPs, practising down to plate minima and either landing or diverting for an attempt at another IAP.

Once I have obtained the theoretical knowledge, I hope to have chosen an ATO that will allow me to fly the current DA40 I fly to achieve the dream of an Instrument Rating.

Here is a comprehensive Q&A video on the EASA competency based instrument rating (CBIR), answering some frequent questions and I’ll explain how I’ll gain this all important rating. Bringing the prospect of some exciting videos to come.

Rather than create lots of annoying topics about this subject, I’ll post updates all in here to share with everyone my journey to become a much better pilot and qualify with that all important instrument rating.

If you don’t wish to watch the video, or would also like some literature on the CB-IR. I’ve put all my questions and the answers I’ve found into a Q&A on my website.

I also talk a bit more about what the rating is and how I’ll try and improve my flying.

All video can be found here as I post them.
All blog posts can be found here as I post them.
The YouTube playlist can be found here.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 05 May 16:25
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Good luck on your training!

Two comments. First, as far as I understand, the 10 hours with an ATO have to be done on an aircraft that is registered with the ATO. You can’t just show up in any aircraft and expect them to train you on that aircraft. So check with the ATO if you can indeed use your current DA40.

Second, make sure that throughout the theoretical knowledge & exams, and practical training & exams, you also incorporate the PBN requirement. This requires just a bit of extra study and a few more questions on the exams, so it should not be hard to incorporate it. It also requires an aircraft with GPS and PBN/RNAV capability. But PBN will be a requirement for all IR holders soon, so it would be stupid to forget it now.

And speaking of PBN incorporated in the exams: Somebody in EASA or in the Netherlands must’ve been sleeping. When I wanted to do the theory exams, the exam that was supposed to include PBN (I think it was Nav) was available for ATPL and modular IR candidates, but not to EIR/CB-IR candidates. After a discussion with various authorities we found that the reasoning behind this was that the theory exam was intended for EIR candidates, who were not going to fly approaches and thus had no need/requirement for PBN skills. That reasoning conveniently ignored the fact that the EIR theory exams are also used for CB-IR. In the end, the place where I did the groundschool whipped up a simple PBN exam which I passed, and gave me the certificate.

“After a discussion with various authorities we found that the reasoning behind this was that the theory exam was intended for EIR candidates, who were not going to fly approaches and thus had no need/requirement for PBN skills”

How bizarre, my understanding is that PBN carp is required for enroute/airways

EGNS, Other

Good luck! Very rewarding rating, but also the hardest one I’ve done. And then one day it just clicks (often after getting the license) and the pieces fall into place.

Sign in to add your message