Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR / CB IR / CBIR (merged)

pilotrobbie wrote:

I am about to start the journey to achieving the full IR

Congratulations. Small ones now, big ones when you will be done.

pilotrobbie wrote:

Once I have obtained the theoretical knowledge

Don’t underestimate that part. The CB-IR TK tests are closest to the CPL TK, so you will learn B737 stuff.

PeteD wrote:

How bizarre, my understanding is that PBN carp is required for enroute/airways

Airways are RNP5 and up, that you can do with any GPS and are part of the baseline RNAV course of the CB-IR. 90% of the PBN training I did was SID/STAR and approaches.

BackPacker wrote:

the hours with an ATO have to be done on an aircraft that is registered with the ATO

That is correct.

ESMK, Sweden

The CB-IR TK tests are closest to the CPL TK, so you will learn B737 stuff.

You absolutely should not; if you get jet perf related questions then you should appeal them (well, if you didn’t pass ) That was already the case in the 7-exam JAA IR set, which had been around since maybe 2003-2005.

However not all countries implemented the reduced QB for the JAA IR.

The CPL exam set does indeed have jet perf stuff in it; really tedious…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

if you get jet perf
Performance calculations are plane agnostic. A climb rate is a climb rate, a TAS is a TAS. But for instruments and RNAV you need to know how an EFIS or a WX-radar control panel looks like, and all the examples and pictures are taken from a B737. However useful that is to me now in the PA28s I fly.
ESMK, Sweden

Peter wrote:

You absolutely should not; if you get jet perf related questions then you should appeal them

The questions would not be about jet performance but about the 737 FMS and EFIS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Arne wrote:

Performance calculations are plane agnostic. A climb rate is a climb rate, a TAS is a TAS.

The performance diagrams you are required to understand and apply are definitely not plane agnostic. Also, a PPL is not required to understand how to work with EAS.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 May 20:30

“Airways are RNP5 and up, that you can do with any GPS ". Sure, but you still need PBN sign off to do it in airways….for some bizarre reason.

Last Edited by PeteD at 08 May 21:18
EGNS, Other

I spent much time reading what questions were supposed to be removed from the “private IR” QB, at the time I was doing it, 2011.

Yes, the PBN stuff is a load of bollox. Basically GPS caused the bottom to drop out of the navigation market (like the CD did to the hi-fi market) so the regulators had to invent new concepts to create and maintain new areas for regulation. Like in the hi-fi market they have €500 cables, gold plated mains plugs, EL84s, KT88s for the real men In the US, this is not an issue; planes aren’t falling out of the sky. OK, we know almost nobody in the US uses GPS

I got my PBN signoff last year but had to fight with the CAA here until last week because they demanded very precise wordings on various forms, for the examiner to write and sign.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

PeteD wrote:

“Airways are RNP5 and up, that you can do with any GPS ". Sure, but you still need PBN sign off to do it in airways….for some bizarre reason.

Also, there are serious discussion of making airways RNAV 1 in congested areas.

(And to nitpick: Airways are RNAV 5, not RNP 5. AFAIK there is no RNP 5 specification.)

Why do any of these standards of GPS precision matter even one iota, given that pre-GPS all CAT was flying around in airways and other controlled airspace with a navigation precision far worse than even the most basic GPS could provide?

Is it just the regulators creating a thing to regulate?

Robbie – out of interest what is your anticipated budget and timescale for the IR?

EGLM & EGTN

BackPacker wrote:

Good luck on your training!

Thank you! I look forward to it greatly.

BackPacker wrote:

Two comments. First, as far as I understand, the 10 hours with an ATO have to be done on an aircraft that is registered with the ATO. You can’t just show up in any aircraft and expect them to train you on that aircraft. So check with the ATO if you can indeed use your current DA40.

I am not 100% sure on how it works, but I know rate one do it quite easily as advertised on there website and many of the ATOs can agree to it. It just depends on them. It has been done formerly with the ATO at the aircraft’s base. They have a long waiting list for “Commercial training” and won’t take me on till I’ve got the theory.

Which answers this question.

Graham wrote:

Robbie – out of interest what is your anticipated budget and timescale for the IR?

I am still flying IAPs around the UK on my IR(R). I did Southend and Cambridge last month, I am planning on Lydd/Southend probably tomorrow depending on the weather and then flying the NDB into Alderney and stopping at Guernsey using the ILS at the end of the month. Will be looking to book a theory course end of May. Once I’ve done that, I’ll do some pre-ATO training as I’ve been a bit lazy about booking the theory.

In terms of the flying, I would like to do the ATO part and test spread over a couple of weeks. Probably in the Autumn, then my bank account can recover over the winter. Obviously this depends on the theory and then how much I take on-board the flying. I guess you have to be realistic, but the IR(R) will help massively to boost my skills; the videos are incredibly rewarding too.

Peter wrote:

I got my PBN signoff last year but had to fight with the CAA here until last week because they demanded very precise wordings on various forms, for the examiner to write and sign.

BackPacker wrote:

But PBN will be a requirement for all IR holders soon, so it would be stupid to forget it now.

What was that about? Aircraft or FCL related? My understanding is, if I take this course https://www.oysterair.com/pbn and present the certificate pre-IRT then I should be fine. It does seem a bit ludicrous that if you do the CB-IR theory and the training, there’s still a requirement to do some theoretical knowledge for airways flying.

I guess my route is as follows

• CB-IR theory
  • CB-IR theory tests
  • PBN theory
  • PBN test
  • Pre-ATO training
  • ATO 10 hours
  • IRT
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message