Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Swiss Meetup on Saturday, March 7? (Lausanne)

I take it Lausanne and Bern have avgas and Customs? I have ticked those two plus LSZH.

That’s a nice poll facility!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Interlaken? Interesting, didn’t know you can fly there…

Wasn’t that flattened some 15 years ago for Mr. von Dänikens Mystery Park, now also as dead as the former airfield?

EDDS - Stuttgart

Indeed – Interlaken does not seem to be available. I saw it in SkyDemon and didn’t do any research before putting it into the poll.

That’s a nice poll facility!

Doodle is quite handy. It takes seconds to set up a poll. It also has a calendar based scheduling poll facility to find dates that work for everyone.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I take it Lausanne and Bern have avgas and Customs?

Yes. Although in the case of Lausanne it’s PNR – and they even have a fax number + 41 21 646 15 91. The people of Bern have the reputation of being slow, and last time I was in Bern airport they lived up to every prejudice. Also, it’s more expensive than Lausanne, but I’ve heard nowadays you at least get a strip search for the money.

In my view Lausanne wins in every respect except availability of IFR procedures and a tower; the scenery is much nicer (lake), the airport is quite friendly and more efficient, AVGAS is cheaper, and there’s a bus stop right across the street from the airport, which takes you to the lake in a couple of minutes. There’s also a restaurant on the airport.

Bern, however, is in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking, for switzerland), there is public transport but last time I tried to get into the city it took me an hour or so. You might take a taxi, but it’s not sure you’re much quicker, especially during rush hour.

LSZK, Switzerland

Looking at the area, one could do the ILS at Geneva or Payerne and fly to Lausanne over the lake plus the low ground. Is an ILS letdown allowed at these places?

I’ve emailed Lausanne for PNR details etc and will post what I find out. Of course I will get a photo of their fax machine, but I must test it first

Edit: a swift response, as expected of the Swiss

The form looks like a GAR with the usual fields but is in French so I will have to google translate. They also want it back in .docx format which I can’t do but can do .doc

Administrator

Peter,

I am not sure if Lausanne accepts non-Schengen arrivals and departures. Customs does not necessarily mean Immigration as well, so you’d better check that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

OK… I made it as clear as is humanly possible that I was coming from and going back to the UK, but yeah you never know. A lot of people read only the first few lines of any email.

I will forward you the Word form they emailed me, to see if you can shine light on it.

Edit: here it is:

Doesn’t sound hopeful to me…

Administrator

The Form just says that for extra Schengen 1h PNR for both arrivals and departures is required, and an official must come to see you.

LSZK, Switzerland

Patrick,
You should have come up with this plan a bit earlier. Just came back from there!
Sion is indeed a good destination for nearby skiing places. Nice VFR flying too in that valley (if the winds are low).
IFR in there is a bit of a challenge, starting at FL180 and then for a steep approach.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Ah – shame!

Sion is on my route for the crossing I’m planning for the end of March. Looking forward to that..

As for the meetup, are we zooming in on Lausanne? Seems perfectly fine with me on all accounts apart from the missing IFR facilities for some…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message