Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Swiss Meetup on Saturday, March 7? (Lausanne)

Can anyone recommend a hotel in town?

I’m thinking about Friday as well.

EGEO

Can anyone recommend a hotel in town?

I’m thinking about Friday as well.

+ 1 !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I ought to have a spare seat (for someone not “big”; on past experience somebody over about 80kg will find a 3-4hr trip a squeeze) but it’s out of Shoreham. The usual GA-travel disclaimers apply e.g. you may have a wasted trip down here and you may have to buy yourself an airline ticket to get back home Oxygen will be used (cannulas). Also I need to do one more post-maintenance test flight (to FL200) which I plan to do tomorrow. I would aim for a 0900Z departure. NO cost sharing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m offering the same as Peter, out of Dusseldorf and minus the oxygen.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Shame, I’m actually on holiday in the region at the moment, driving back on Friday. Otherwise I would have been up for this trip.

Forever learning
EGTB

Who can suggest a hotel?

Administrator

Generally, there’s the choice of staying by the lake or in the centre. The lake and its views are great but at this time of year it could be cold by lake (even if weather looks good for sat/sun) and it will be less of a key selection criteria now compared to later in spring / summer in my view. I would rather go for the center, and you can always go down to lake with new subway from center in a few minutes.

Just checked on booking dot com. There are currently some great discounts this coming weekend, both by the lake and in the centre. One that comes up is Hotel Alpha-Palmiers where you can get a single room from chf 150 (after 50% discount). I’ve stayed there myself and it’s a modern nice/decent hotel with wifi etc. Good location in the centre and you can walk to small streets with shopping, cafes, restaurants in a few minutes. It’s very close to rail station as well where there’s always taxis when you need to head out to LGSL field (approx 25 chf IIRC).

Just a disclaimer: I do not live in Lausanne myself but if someone on the forum does, please pitch in…

Another point, note that Lausanne is very hilly. Was a bit of a schock first time I came there…

When are u guys planning to meet? I might come over, subject to family comitments and skiing conditions…

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB

I’m thinking about coming too. Since the fun takes place on Friday, Friday it will be.

LFPT, LFPN

Here

€280 plus €23 for breakfast, total for 2 nights.

Well, it’s Switzerland

It’s OK with me. Booked for 2 nights

Administrator

Since the fun takes place on Friday, Friday it will be.

Let’s hope the fun is not exclusive to Friday – I won’t be able to arrive on Friday due other commitments. Hopefully you all are still around for Saturday lunch.

With respect to accommodation: On another thread I’ve mentioned AirBnB. I’ve been using this a lot recently (that’s staying at private accommodations, ranging from single rooms in shared flats to entire luxury apartments).

I’ve found this especially useful for Switzerland where I work part-time at the moment. Here, the difference between a hotel room (usually expensive and crap, at least in Bern I have to say..) and an AirBnB private room is huge. In Bern, I’ve stayed in a simple room (private, with shared bath and kitchen, but VERY centrally located) for 25 CHF.

In Lausanne, I’ve now booked a slightly nicer room and I’ll be paying around 65 CHF – and you usually get to meet some local people to talk with, which adds to the experience. Try meeting people (except the lonely-traveller-at-the-bar type) in a ****-hotel…

Also, most private people are rather easy on cancellation policies, if you talk to them nicely.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Sign in to add your message