Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

May 2014 EuroGA fly-in Mali Losinj LDLO

Flying over Poland was a little bit stressfull for me. Almost no one speaks english.

Hmm, that would surprise me a lot. I never had any problems with Polish ATC on numerous occasions. Which stations did you talk to that were “stressful”?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@All: It would be nice if you could let me know arrival and departure dates and estimated times.

@Emir: our plans (2 POB) have changed a little and we now plan to arrive LDLO approx 1300Z on Thursday 22nd. Departure Sunday afternoon during normal airport hours.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Alternates:

While each pilot will make their own decisions (obviously) I might suggest that we plan on Pula LDPL to be the alternate to LDLO. Pula has an ILS and wide opening hours, and is really easy in every respect.

Pula town is a pretty nice place to hang out for a day or so. If I end up there I will try to check into the Amphitheatre Hotel which is right next to this – in fact it is in that photo somewhere.

The flight from LDPL to LDLO is a quick VFR hop. You do need to file a flight plan, I believe, however. Just a LDPL DCT LDLO.

For a real bad weather alternate i.e. far enough away from LDLO, Zadar is another very nice place to hang out, with an ILS and tarmac long enough to land a Tupolev with enough armaments for a mid-size African coup and no brakes.

Last Edited by Peter at 20 May 21:21
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi Emir

I will make my final plan tomorrow.

For now the plan is to leave Rotterdam somewhere beginning of the afternoon and either fly via Vienna, Innsbruck or Annemasse (all new fields for me). If there are people around on thursday I would like to continu and have a late arrival but I understand that is complicated.

For Friday I may want to do a daytrip to Dubrovnik.

Saturday I plan to return to Rotterdam. However I understand a patch of bad weather will come through ?

@Peter:
Correction aircraft type.. upgraded to P32R for the occasion. My MCR is slightly short legged :). Room is booked as well.

ESG..., Sweden

@All, this is final confirmation on airport working hours (UTC):

Thursday 0600-1400
Friday to Sunday 0600-1800
Monday 0600-1400

NOTAM will be issued on these extensions. Parking spots are ensured for all arriving aircrafts – some will be on hard surface, some on grass – obviously first comers will get better positions

Alternates are (working hours UTC):
Pula LDPL (MON-SUN 0400-2000)
Rijeka (Island of Krk) LDRI (MON-SUN 0600-1600)
Zadar LDZD (MON-SUN 0400-2000)

For the ones who want to visit some other places:
Dubrovnik LDDU (MON-SUN 0400-2100)
Island of Brac LDSB (MON-FRI and SUN 0600-1400, SAT 0600-1700)

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Excellent work Emir

Administrator

Looks like convective weather in the Alps on Friday.

On the current pressure chart for Friday 1200

I would be flying this route

but the final decision would be made on the morning of the flight, based on the IR image.

Last Edited by Peter at 21 May 10:02
Administrator

Friday morning should be benign but large TCUs are expected to form over the Alps as predicted by the world’s leading forecast tool. This is a cut along the Innsbruck LOWI to Mali Losinj LDLO route at 1630Z-1800Z. Given how incredibly hot it is in Central Europe today, this looks like a very likely scenario.

The MLSP shows fronts but non-frontal weather is not depicted.

Last Edited by achimha at 21 May 10:14
Sign in to add your message