Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR cross-country from EDFM (Mannheim) - LFSN (Nancy) and back

Maybe we have wires crossed.

These

are Restricted. Is that what you mean by “SUAs”?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

SUA =special use airspace… Danger, restricted, prohibited…the whole lot.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Jan 19:32
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I’ve had mixed results with the FIS service, in my case in southern France.

From great service, such as the service I received when I flew VFR from Mallorca towards Chambery in 2012. They informed me that an active R area was ahead on initial contact, over the mediterranean, and suggested another routing and assisted with clearances. (towards Marseille instead of Montpellier)

In the same area I’ve had trouble of getting clearances in controlled airspace to descend due to clouds (to remain VMC ), got the most bizarre responses.

I really want to encourage pilots to part with their fears of the french aispace and go. Which absolutely doesn’t mean there is no planning required. Common sense.

I agree with that. Just stay clear of those reactors ;-)

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 18 Jan 19:51

SUA =special use airspace… Danger, restricted, prohibited…the whole lot.

You may find this interesting, boscomatico

The above is from the Jepp chart legend. Do they now group “Danger, restricted, prohibited” as “SUA”? I don’t have any very recent ones in paper form.

I also don’t have any French Jepp charts in paper form.

SUA is a widely used concept in the USA.

Last Edited by Peter at 18 Jan 21:41
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

SUA is an ICAO term, but yes, it is more widely used in the US than here.
However, it’s also used and defined in CAP740, for example.

Those special use areas mentioned on that Jepp legend are something else and seem to be unique to slovenian airspace.

I found this a really helpful post.
I am planning to do Vfr London to stuttgart for a weekend in may. I was looking at nancy for a break half way. I estimate 3.5 hours flight time.
I looked at the airspace restrictions and it looked almost impossible on the French side but helpful to know that it seems doable.
Everytime I do a long trip Vfr though France I spend hours looking at the military airspace and stressing over the impossibility of it all. In the air usually all the difficulty just goes away and I have luckily always been cleared through everything. Even when I got a bit stuck in Paris in a corner of class A (creuill) airspace. In they end I think they thought the easiest thing was to clear me through and I was most grateful
Mrs echobeach comes from near stuttgart and I have promised I will fly her home this year. (I have been commercially into stuttgart more than 20 times per year at some stages of life )
Berlin was easy. Maybe this is also possible.

Re the class A….probably unnecessary to mention, but in Europe, one should rather not compel ATC to clear you VFR into a class A. They might always file a report…

Inactive SUAs and class A airspace are obviously two different animals.

Agree. It was really a comment regarding how incredibly helpful French atc have been and that when a bit stuck (many hundreds of flying hours ago) they came up with a SVFR transit to help me.

That was my first trip abroad and through France in 2007.

I enjoyed your trip report and perhaps that eastern French airspace won’t be as daunting as it looks.

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message