Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip around Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Austria

Oh yes. @boscomantico you are right. That’s what we had to to as well in Szeged. It was a bit complicated for us due to the fact that one of us is not EU citizen. However, it was free.

Frequent travels around Europe

And to add to the story of customs: in Romania in e.g. Arad you will have to pay customs as well to check your passport. In my case I have a company in Romania, so they kind of won’t try to bribe, but if you are a tourist you might have to pay some money just for them to check the passports. Welcome in Eastern Europe :-) but don’t let it stop you from adventuring out into this side of Europe.

EDLE, Netherlands

Customs is not paid if the entry airport is international (like LRSM, LRBM, LRAR) and the arrival is during their working hours (declared in AIP).

LRSV, Romania

I went from BP to Mali Losinj. At the last minute I was told it was EU but not schengen so I would have stop a 1/2 hr into a 1.5 hr flight to clear customs. With a fee of course I think it was 30 EU. On the way back the same procedure. If I wanted Immigration to come to my home field it would have been 100EU each time.

I know it dosent make sense but I have an issue landing 1/3 of the way into a flight. Kind of like a passenger who didnt have to right before but then realizes they have to once airborne.

So for that reason Ive stayed away from non Schengen countries. Although up to that point I had all sorts of plans.

KHTO, LHTL

If you want to fly into Hungary to visit Budapest LHTL is a good alternative but 40 mins from city center. Budaors is closer but it is grass and what Ive seen rough; on landing and T.O.. the wings seem to Flap up and down similar to a bird.

LHPR Gyor has a great ILS and can be used as a good alternate. But expect 1.5 hr car ride into the city center. Now if you want to fly into LHBP and pay the 400 Euro landing fee its 30mins into the city center no traffic.. It might include handling but dont hold me to it.

You might want to tank up at LHFM when out bound from the country. Going to EU + Schengen its about 100ft/L cheaper than anywhere else. But there is an 18 Euro landing fee. Immigration call out might be available as well. But not sure.

KHTO, LHTL

What I would definitely recommend is flying to Salzburg (visit Hangar 7 with all the Red Bull aircraft), then on to Bratislava (I seem to recall I paid 50€ for everything, a lovely airport) and visit the city, then on to Budaoers. The airstrip is grass and wasn’t exactly smooth but more than suitable enough for a P28A. Apparently it’s an old airforce base; unfortunately as with most things in Hungary, looking rather neglected which is a pity, when you walk inside the old Ops building – magnificent structure, however in a state of disrepair – but it was cheap and was a great base to explore Budapest, spent two days there.

EDL*, Germany

Hi folks,

I’m really grateful for all the info. Some great ideas for places to go and ways to get there.

Thanks all, but please if you feel you have anything else to add, particularly about eastern Romania (how feasible is it to fly to and stay near the Black Sea?) or about flying in Slovakia, fire away!

Jon

My flying experience with Slovakia is very limited. I flew last year to Zilina (LZZI), nothing to see there (I went there for a football match) but I was surprised with very high price of fees for such small airport. It was €130 for landing and day of parking (MTOM 1400 kg, 2 crew members and no passangers). I wouldn’t expect Bratislava to be cheap. But taxi, accomodation, food and beer were very cheap

Austria – definitely avoid Vienna (LOWW), it’s just too expensive (more than €300 for landing and day of parking) although for me it was very good experience of realy large airport with dense traffic and complex taxing.

Last Edited by Emir at 03 Mar 15:12
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

For SE Romania and Black Sea there is Tuzla LRTZ near the big city Constanta and several sea resorts, they have no fuel but there is Tulcea LRTC not far away with Avgas, at the Danube Delta entrance. I would rather spend a day here visiting DD rather than on the boring and kitschy resort beaches – or maybe do both.

LRSV, Romania

For SE Romania and Black Sea there is Tuzla LRTZ near the big city Constanta …

Funny … there’s Tuzla (LQTZ) in Bosnia. In Turkish “tulza” means salts.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message