Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying vacation in Portugal: a paean of praise

Thank you all for the kind words!

172driver wrote:

Pity it’s so small ;-)

Apparently I’m not the only one who likes this country

achimha wrote:

To be fair, the GRAMET actually does show clouds there at your altitude! Pretty much spot on I’d say.

@achimha Well, there were a few clouds forecast, but not that compact and not a layer of 10000ft. But hey, it’s a forecast and good one, but unfortunately not a screenplay ;-)

geekyflyer wrote:

Hey hey… easy there (I live in Porto) if you say that around my hood you’ll be in big trouble.

Ooh, ahh, how do I get get out of this? At least I can confirm that we had the little Frenchie:

@geekyflyer we’ll have to discuss this over a beer next time we’re in Porto or when you come to Mannheim

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

terbang wrote:

there are so-called VFR tunnels defined in the vicinity of Lisbon and Porto

Great report, I’ll have to post mine.

I’ve asked (nicely!) to do my own route and haven’t had issues with it.
In the below, incoming from Biarritz (VFR, direct), when got on Porto approach, told them I’d like to route to Braga, then low level following the river (I grew up in a house bordering it), then route along the coast up to the Douro, then back for overhead crossing for LPVL.

They had me go along the coast at “not above 500ft, remaining VFR”, then made me do a couple of orbits really far away from airport (even when told them visual with the TAP on approach) – You could tell (at least the approach controller on duty at the time) aren’t that used to these requests as I find getting a transit over MUCH busier airports in the UK much more efficient – But glad they allow it anyway !

geekyflyer : What’s the status of the Cub at the flying club ? Still a member there – have flown both CS-AUD and CS-??? (the 172 and the PA28).

Last Edited by Noe at 28 Aug 14:22

Very nice trip report Terbang! Portugal looks like a nice destination to fly to…

terbang wrote:

These guys are probably not members here at EuroGA.

Probably not… I don’t see the big cojones where EuroGA members are known for

That’s nice @Noe Should have tried that as well!

And yeah, you’re certainly right @lenthamen Moreover they seem to suffer from a serous disease, what’s the one with the big eyes called in English?

Last Edited by terbang at 29 Aug 09:32
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I’m bringing up this old thread to life because I’m heading to Portugal this week. The plan is to start with landing at Evora LPEV and then drive a bit around Lisabon area for few days. After that we’re planning to visit Porto but still not sure on exact schedule.

Basically, I have two questions:
1. To rent a car at Evora and drive to Lisabon (and surrounding) or to fly from Evora to Cascais and then drive from there in the area (for 2-3 days)?
2. Where to land for visiting Porto?

Any other tip, advice or information is more than welcome.

Last Edited by Emir at 17 Jun 14:54
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

On 2.:

I checked this last year. Essentially two options, Porto (LPPR) or Vilar de Luz (LPVL). Some notes here.

I don’t know if LPVL sells Jet-A though. You would have to check. But for the rest, I can only recommend LPVL and advise you to stay clear of LPPR.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

For JetA1 at LPVL, reach out to Helitours Porto (http://portoandlisbon.pt/contact).

They are not always on field, and it’s done via a “custom bowser” they have, so I’d make sure to contact well in advance. Price in 2014 was 1.89 / L

Porto LPPR is extortionally expensive due to Handling (500+ euros when VAT included). There used to be an IAOPA deal with Portway (that would bring the fees to about ~70 euros for a DA42), but I’ve read a recent report that this might no longer be the case. PM me an email and I’ll send you the exchange I had with them about flying there in a 42.

LPPR is closer to Porto than LPVL. It’s much more convenient to get from town <→ terminal (~15-20 min taxi / uber ride, and there is even the “Tube” passing there), but there is a chance that these gains are lost once you account with terminal <→ plane issues.
I can also send you the contact of a guy (a private chauffeur) that has been reliable when I needed him (in fact, used him from LPVL <→ porto).

@geekyflyer is local to LPVL I believe.

Last Edited by Noe at 17 Jun 15:28

Thanks for the tips. Uber says LPVL to Porto is some 20€ and some 30 min ride which is OK. According to available info there’s no Jet A1 at LPVL but I won’t need refueling so I thing less to worry about. It seems that my route will be

LDZA→LFMU→LPEV→LPCS→LPVL→LFMU→LDVA

We’re pretty relaxed on schedule so we’ll decide how long we’ll spend on each place but most probably 1 day at LPEV, 2-3 days in Lisabon area and 2 days in Porto area.

Last Edited by Emir at 17 Jun 21:13
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Just sitting here with some friends from Porto and they said that when you are there you should visit the Livario Lello library which some describe as the most beautiful library in the world.

You can buy tickets next door in the bookshop.

livariolello.pt

quatrelle wrote:

Just sitting here with some friends from Porto and they said that when you are there you should visit the Livario Lello library which some describe as the most beautiful library in the world.

Thanks for this tip – we’ve already planned that visit

BTW LPEV asked me to fill some form at https://www.anac.pt/vPT/Generico/RegEconomica/AutorizacoesdeVoos/Paginas/AutorizacoesdeVoos.aspx and send it to ANAC with LPEV in CC. Usually such things are reserved for non-EU countries – it’s first time that I was asked to provide flight notification to some civil aviation agency in EU.

LPEV and LPCS both confirmed no problem with parking and I’m waiting reply from LPVL.

BP also replied with price of 1.07€ per liter of Jet A1 at LPEV – surprisingly low comparing to Spain or Germany. Actually, it’s the same price I paid at LDZA yesterday and Croatia is still amongst the cheaper countries (with Serbia and Bosnia without competition – 0.63€ at LQSA 3 days ago).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message