Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I think for piste skiing the shops normally recommend a ski which reaches up to your nose, so a 162cm is ok a 175cm person, roughly.

They fit diagonally across the luggage space, extending a bit over one back seat. Not really in the way of anything. One could get two lots in – in tight ski bags, not the big airline-style ski bags which are often big enough for a couple of refugees

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m envious. Would have loved to join in on this, but work is just way too busy.
I’m important enough, to be an issue if I’m not there, but not important enough to be able to declare I’m going on holiday! Lol.
Maybe another time.
Have fun guys.

United Kingdom

Web cams look like its snowing. Great Deal!

KHTO, LHTL

Just dropped off the skis to be tuned.

Is there a flying club at Salzburg?

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 08 Feb 16:36
KHTO, LHTL

I doubt it; I asked when I was last there, ~ 1 year ago, and nobody knew of anything.

Administrator

You can contact some of the companies there (airlink etc..) maybe they rent you their hangar.
SZG website might have a directory of local av biz entities.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks just found a Charter/ Maintenance facility. I sent emails about a plug in the people Peter provided for me at the airport. Not sure if they are the same people or not.

KHTO, LHTL

From the airport:

Hangar costs for aircraft up to 1500kg MTOW: ~ one time putting in or taking out: €10,13 // hangar usage €39,51 per day (exkl. tax.).

I have booked it for all 3 nights. You don’t have to pay if you cancel the flight.

Administrator

At first the people at Salzburg did offer me an unheated hangar but where I could not plug my plane in due to some insane fire retardant rules. Ok no problem rules are rules, so I asked about keeping the plane on the ramp but having an electric outlet to plug in my Rieff system. They replied they would be willing to provide an electrical plug so that I might be able to preheat the engine. Great I thought to myself one problem solved.

Letter I received.

“we can provide a unheated hangar without electrical outlet. Engine heaters are prohibited inside Hangars. You can preheat your engine on the apron (we can organize a cable drum).
Should we book hangar for the N6589M?”

Now understand my preheat requires 12 hrs to be plugged in in order for the engine to be properly preheated so placing the airplane into an unheated hangar overnight would be of no use. Placing the plane into the hangar 2 night/days before departure only to then remove it the day before to preheat makes no sense either. So I accepted the plug in offer but not the hangar offer. Makes sense no? Especially when I own wing covers.

But not so fast Sherlock your forgetting where you are! Yep yesterday I got an email from a higher authority in the corporate bean counter world.

" Unfortunately we can’t offer an electric plug in. Groundpower Unit or Cabin Heater would be available.
The costs for a GPU 90V are € 66,70 per half hour, 140V €71,30 per half hour.
Cabin Heater costs €45,50 per half hour."

Now I know for most of you in Europe, English is not your native tongue but the Brits will understand the use of the words “can’t” and “won’t”. In this case the word can’t should be replaced with the word won’t.

I “won’t” make a stink about this to the higher authority because the poor guy who said he “will” obviously did not clear it with the financial department of his company and I dont want to get him into trouble with the a**holes in the main office.

The good news is that according to the very reliable long range forecasts the temps are supposed to be 10-8C during day and 0 to 2 at night. Now with any luck I wont need any preheat at all. But as far as Salzburg being a good airport fly to for skiing, it is not just because the preheat issue.

I guess they must think anybody who flies a 210 must be an Arab prince.

KHTO, LHTL

This is a good case of GA hassle. It exists because nobody at the airport is sensitized for this problem. I think HAM EDDH is one of the more GA friendly airports because the director there is flying himself.
The GPU/cabin heat price is marginal for a business jet or airliner but not so for a small personal piston plane.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message