Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I shot that one in backseat during my CPL training; just after nice snowfalls the day before.

Nice scenery. Bank angles seemed high. Was a landing actually planned?

always learning
LO__, Austria

It was a diversion exercise with paper map and rule, followed by valley progress, a pure VFR exercie. We planned to integrate on an uncontrolled airfield, and touch and go or go around depending on conditions, but there was a too high thickness of snow on the runway, and we didn’t touch. It’s a bit hard to evaluate the snow thickness, a low pass was needed here anyway.
30° may be high in base turn but in mountain, you have less space to turn… as soon as speed is good, which was the case.
In Barcelonette, you have to make a downwind very close to the tress at south of airfield if you don’t want to be too tight on the base turn.
The downwind seemed very low and we were still high here as we were descending a bit ballistic from the Col d’Allos (8200ft).

Last Edited by greg_mp at 20 Dec 13:36
LFMD, France

Yeah, the gear warning due to idle showed it. Challenging approach. Good learning exercise I’m sure.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sebastian_G wrote:

They offer to tow your plane in a big hangar. But the towing and the parking charges in the hangar are quite expensive. Last summer I remember it would have been about 400 Euro for a week for 2 tons

Hi Sebastian, Did you happen to notice if they have electrical outlets for plugging in the plane for preheat?
I suppose if you were there in the summer that would not have been a concern but in case you did notice.

KHTO, LHTL

It’s quite a vast apron area and there are no outlets.
Call or email the airport and explain what you need.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The 2019 piste map for Bad Kleinkirchheim shows just one blue run of significance, #17, but according to this it seems quite long. And one needs only one decent run

Klagenfurt LOWK is indeed the nearest airport and at some 60km the taxi would not cost too much. The GA area is vast

At some point I would still like to do Madonna, but the taxi there from Bolzano is €195 (checked yesterday) and with Trento slightly less.

I think these ski trips need to be done at short notice. I’ve just had a week at Madonna, with OVC001 / 10m-100m and +SN, and on the last day the fresh snowfall makes it basically “off-piste” since the machines run only at night. Plus, of course, we have to fly there in our little planes so we need reasonable wx for that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is there anyone here who flies to Samedan LSZS, to ski?

It does look like mostly reds and blacks

There are some posts way back in this thread from some years ago.

Administrator

Hi, new in posting on this forum but wanted to mention a very nice trip to Grenoble Versoud last week for a ski trip.
The airport was easy, friendly and cheep for landing and parking. Hangar parking is not easy but was not necessary last week. The ski resorts are close by. Les 7 Laux is only 20 minutes drive and the aerodrome manager can arrange a taxi or hire car when contacted in advance. Hope to go there again later this winter.

The ‘only’ risk is a few days of low mist/clouds in the valley..

EHLE, Netherlands

Welcome to EuroGA, PilotX

I looked up the piste map. The taxi should be cheap enough for such a short run. I did Annecy / Grand Bornand a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Administrator

Zell am See LOWZ just advised on their Facebook page: no winter surcharge.

ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message