Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avgas (100LL) availability NW Africa (Cap Verde, Senegal, Mauritania)

Curiously, drums elsewhere (e.g. the ones I was offered in Greece) are 200 litres. Those were €600

That pic of pouring the stuff in by hand reminded me of Burgos in Spain, 2016. I suppose that is about halfway to Senegal

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A local wearing improvised security glasses while filling up our tanks from the AVGAS barrel!

They sometimes have a fuel pump at hand and often it is of bad quality. Best is to bring your own pump and a fuel filter.

The opening to the Turtle bag is seen here in this picture. No problem to get it filled up.

In some places (here in Aden, Yemen) we had to resort to buying fuel at a local gas station and transport it to the airport. Our Piper could fly on regular fuel (Mogas Kit), but we would then still get AVGAS on the next legs as much as possible.

It is worth flying through the Sahara. This picture was taken while flying through Mauritania.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 03 Dec 11:56
EDLE, Netherlands

Jujupilote wrote:

It is the size of the standard oil drum

Yes, that drum size look standard for shipment/sale (would not trust a “barrel of avgas”, it goes from 20L to 1000L depending on the seller/conventions )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I reckon that guy is a dentist in his day job.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wow. I have a friend asking me to fly to GOSS Saint-Louis du Senegal. Any info from the world travellers here?

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

It’s a nice place to fly. I usually avoid Mauritania if I don’t need to land there.
You will need to double check but AVGAS is available in Morocco (Southern airport Dakhla) I don’t know about AVGAS in Saint Louis as I use JET…
You will need overflight for Western Sahara, Mauritania and Sénégal. I used to ask them myself but it became complicated. I know use a agent to ask them.

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Thx @Romain.
My friend has some contacts in Senegal and we were hoping they could load a barrel or two of AVGAS on a camel from Dakar to Saint-Louis.
Dakhla indeed seems to have AVGAS. Was also looking at Agadir for a nicer refuel stopover? I can plan 850 NM legs.

Did someone actually land in Saint-Louis? what kind of service and issues can be expected there? I would rather not dump the plane on the tarmac and “inchallah”.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

AVGAS is reported to be available in Saint Louis. There is phone contact in the AIP I will call them to confirm availability and price…
Long time I’ve been there but a friend of mine was there this winter. He used the airport as Port of Entry before continuing to Saly. He didn’t mention anything special…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

There is AVGAS (usually) in Mauritania as well which can be arranged through L’Aéroclub Saint-Exupéry de Nouakchot.

EDLE, Netherlands

Flyingfish wrote:

Dakhla indeed seems to have AVGAS. Was also looking at Agadir for a nicer refuel stopover?

Have you tried checking with the Aeroclub guys?
info AT aero-club-agadir.com/+212612179454 (or with Mr Jawhari from Skydiving Taroudant ra.moum AT hotmail.fr)

AFAIK they have some but I am not planning to get that far on my trip this August to Morocco

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message