Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ferry pilot USA-Europe

Or consider shipping in a container, together with a cool high displacement automobile and other items you might want relocated with you. And don’t forget about the customs / tax paperwork (the fact you don’t pay VAT on your belongings is worth much more than the customs part).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Thanks for the replies. I confess I hadn’t even thought about the Covid impact. Ouch.

Meanwhile I got an approximate estimate from a ferry company and it is seriously eye-watering – nearly $40K, and sadly far more than it is worth for my plane.

Does anyone have any experience with shipping a plane in a container? It’s physically possible with my TR182. I’ve found someone who seems to know how to do it – waiting for more information from them. But interested if anyone has experience of it.

Thanks…

LFMD, France

On this thread might anyone have experience of Turtle Pac ferry tanks.

Specifically someone in the UK who can organise a fuel connection, and do they satisfy Canadian Danish or Icelandic ramp checks?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Have you considered flying it yourself? It’s probably a once-in-a-lifetime thing (although I know a guy who has flown is SR22 between the UK and the US several times).

Obviously this wouldn’t work right now (and prob90 not in winter anyway with your ride), but come next summer…..

As for container. I looked into this a few years ago in the other direction for a C182 (FG) and the costs were significantly less than a professional ferry, including un/re mounting the wings. The transport never happened, as the deal fell through, but definitely worth looking into.

@johnh Sent you a PM regarding container shipping

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have near-1st-hand (hangar neighbor) experience with getting a C152 shipped from US to Poland. No issues that I know of. I can ask for details if you want.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

@tmo: yes please!

LFMD, France

A friend of mine, ferry pilot, reckons $30k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A friend of mine, ferry pilot, reckons $30k.

You mean for the ferry or for the container shipping? The ferry estimate I have is quite detailed and seems a bit on the high side, e.g. it covers 10 stops en route. Not sure if that is from California (in which case it’s reasonable) or from the east coast. I would probably fly the plane myself either to Goose Bay or at least to somewhere on the right side of the continent.

LFMD, France

it covers 10 stops en route.

Assuming the northern route and leaving from Bangor Maine:

Somewhere East Coast – Bangor – Quebec City – Iqaluit – Sôndre Stromfjord – Kulusuk – Reykjavík – Wick – Southend – France

Ten stops sounds reasonable. With HF and ferry tanks:

Somewhere East coast – Bangor – Goose Bay – Reykjavík – Wick – France

Even with ferry tanks and the TR182 being quite long legged in any event, Goose Bay or St. John’s to Reykjavík would be the longest sector at 1400 nm. Winds can go from tailwind to 50 knot headwinds quite easily, so SEP on such a long sector with few alternates is not for the faint hearted. Hence the northern route allowing you to hopefully head back to your departure airport, and there are quite a few alternates to Sôndre Stromfjord on the west coast.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message