Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ferry pilot USA-Europe

Only what’s in this thread. But your message has reminded to try and do something about it!

LFMD, France

My data point is we flew our 210 across without ferry tanks (ttl 118usg or about 7 hrs) in September a few years back via Quebec City – Kuujuak (improvised stop due to headwind)- Iqualuit- Sondrestromfjord-Reikjavik-Wick

Total cost was around $15k, but I did most arrangements by myself so did not hire anyone. I would not trade the experience for any other alternative.

My main advise is to:

a) get assistance (better onboard) from someone who did it before
b) do a lot of planning and preparation or if unable hire someone to do it for you, and
c) arrange your customs in advance, close to impossible after the aircraft is in the EU

and last, but not least…enjoy!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

210 across without ferry tanks (ttl 118usg or about 7 hrs)

Which model 210 is that? Ours (210L) has 90 USG tanks.

Antonio wrote:

c) arrange your customs in advance, close to impossible after the aircraft is in the EU

Interesting. Could you please tell more about this?

always learning
LO__, Austria

172driver wrote:

Which model 210 is that?

’78 P210N, with O&N baggage tank total 89+29.4= 118.4USG usable

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Snoopy wrote:

Antonio wrote:
Interesting. Could you please tell more about this?

You are supposed to import the goods upon entry into the EU, with the exception of transits to a different final EU destination, which should be declared under “T1” . Far North Aviation used to manage that for you if you used Wick as the first port of entry into the EU. I am not sure how that will work in the post Brexit world.

Different EU countries use different rules, but what I have seen in Estonia, Slovenia and Spain is that hefty fines based on the goods value apply if you import the product after having entered EU without notification of import: you were supposed to subject the goods to customs inspection at such time,and you obviously did not. They call that smuggling .

Last Edited by Antonio at 13 Nov 22:36
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Having said that, you can always enter the EU in transit permitted under ICAO, and then ,once you decide to import, you can fly out to say Norway , Morocco, or very soon UK, then come back and import. It may not look very good in the eyes of customs if there is record that your aircraft has previously been in the EU for years, but if it has been a few months it should be OK.
If your intent is permanent/long term stay in EU, then I would not bother with the risk and just arrange it at the time of first entry.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Antonio
There’s not import duty for smaller planes, only EUVat.
Is it ok to import the plane using the country with lowest VAT?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Is it ok to import the plane using the country with lowest VAT?

I don’t see why not, but it depends on your property structure (ie do you want to recover VAT or not?) Even if not, the savings may be washed by the additional ferry flights.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Snoopy wrote:

There’s not import duty for smaller planes, only EUVat.

Make sure no mistake is made here: the import duty rate applied (even if 0%) does not change the requirement to subject goods to customs declaration and inspection upon entry, which is the point I was discussing.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message