Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ fly-in 8/9 September 2018

Anyone have any referrals to a nice B&B or Hotel. Its late and most of the AirB&Bs are gone. Barracuda Hotel looks nice but it is a bit pricy although the location seems perfect.

KHTO, LHTL

Mistral is ok, I saw today at Booking.com they have some vacancies (although two months ago it showed fully booked) and prices looked ok.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I have a very vague recollection that I might have stayed at the Mistral…

It is quite possible that some hotels don’t allow long term bookings via booking.com. Most hotels hate booking.com because they lose 15-20%, but they accept it as a necessary evil to get maximum occupancy. Hence most put only 1 room on it; this is a real bugger when you are trying to book for two people who don’t share a room.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have we picked a restaurant for the Saturday evening?

I had a look and Ristorante Bologna looks nice (good reviews and lots of space on the terrace).

Google maps

TripAdvisor

LFMD

I suggest the Garden Beach as a meeting point for pre dinner drinks.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

AE may well have local knowledge

Administrator

Emir wrote:

Mistral is ok, I saw today at Booking.com they have some vacancies (although two months ago it showed fully booked) and prices looked ok.

Booked today at the Mistral for 2 nights.

Plan on renting a moped at the airport. Is that possible or is the rental somewhere in town? Otherwise walking to the hotel from the Airport.

KHTO, LHTL

Peter wrote:

. Most hotels hate booking.com because they lose 15-20%, but they accept it as a necessary evil to get maximum occupancy. Hence most put only 1 room on it; this is a real bugger when you are trying to book for two people who d

Yes but when you call the hotel direct, sometimes the fees are actually higher. Go figure!

KHTO, LHTL

I found the same. I suspect the explanation is a combination of:

• the hotel is prohibited under its booking.com contract from undercutting the booking.com price
  • they have no way of knowing you aren’t a booking.com agent provocateur
  • many hotels don’t offer the exact same deal on booking.com as they offer direct – to give them some protection from the above two issues
  • due to the point above, they (especially the low paid staff dealing with bookings) have no easy way of knowing what the current booking.com price is, for the room you are potentially asking about
  • they are sometimes greedy or stupid, or both

Plan on renting a moped at the airport. Is that possible or is the rental somewhere in town?

You can rent scooters at the airport (well one could in 2014). Can’t remember about cars. However – as an ex motorcyclist with about 100k miles – having looked at the driving styles I estimated my life expectancy on a scooter on Elba to be less than the duration of the fly-in (1 day) so I got a bus around the island Someone in the telegram group is proposing renting a bus for the whole group (or as many as are interested) and I think that would be good fun.

Administrator

Bus sounds good to me. Count me in.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message