Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ fly-in 8/9 September 2018

I saw this on Facebook today.

EBMO, EBKT

That’s an excellent bit of promotion for both Elba and EuroGA

Many thanks to AfricanEagle for his help in organising it. It was a really great meetup and many others have said the same.

There is likely to be a meet-up in Spain in October or November, as we usually do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here are some pics from the Elba fly-in:

South east French coastline

Some buildups but generally the wx was clear VMC enroute

Elba

The airport is now visible

Landing on the “easy” runway The other one needs more concentration…

Some had already arrived

The airport is rather posh and very friendly. Thanks to AfricanEagle we got a nice welcome and free drinks

The beach is nice

A lot of planes arrived eventually – most of these were the EuroGA fly-in

Some random photos from a drive around Elba – many thanks to Emir for doing the driving on the wrong side of the road

The Elba perfume – sold all over the island

Yeah, right…….

We went up a cable lift to the top of the mountain. Some of it was in IMC. Really impressive!

A helipad – only for REAL helicopter pilots!

Back down into town

The restored fortress

Napoleon was “locked up” in this house… this is not bad a place to hang out. Personally, I would have quite enjoyed life at this point and not bothered to take on the British pirates again

The sandy apron meant sand was everywhere… a really bad idea. They need to tarmac the whole surface.

Expensive avgas!

Departing back – in my case it was to Brac LDSB in Croatia, to fly to Kastelorizo LGKJ in Greece

Administrator

@peter great pics! It was really great fly-in. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough time to talk to everybody but at least I met some new people and spent lovely evening with them.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

I told the staff about the problem this stuff causes and they agreed but nothing could be done. Someone suggested that they will eventually tarmac the whole surface.

I made sure we pulled the plane forward manually onto the tarmac before starting, as in the 2nd pic above, but still there was sand all over it, even inside the door locks… The people who do this “airport management” stuff are clueless. The surface in 2014 was compacted soil and that was ok.

The sand has to have salt mixed in with it being that close to the sea. My plane was covered by a thin layer. So when I got back to BP it was washed and waxed. On the way back looked for a shower to duck into but it was severe VFR so no luck.

By the way my group felt so good we extended our stay another day. Thanks Peter for helping organize the event.

KHTO, LHTL

Looking at those fuel prices makes my blood boil when Avgas is 3x what govt sponsored jet jocks have to pay.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Looking at those fuel prices makes my blood boil when Avgas is 3x what govt sponsored jet jocks have to pay.

I think you will find it is mostly 33% cheaper with tax and you are govt penalised rather than jet pilots being subsidised…..

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

you are govt penalised rather than jet pilots being subsidised…..

Agree… if jet a is taxed, it will be more expensive. Avgas however will not get cheaper…

always learning
LO__, Austria

I was surprised at the very good turnout we got, despite the avgas price. I guess Elba ticks all the boxes especially well, especially being a great location and being hard to get to conventionally. Same with Mali Losinj for example.

Administrator

Taken in Elba:

Norman
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message