Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why is there no entrepreneurial mojo when it comes to owner flown in Europe?

Jan, fans of the blues (music) know the term mojo from its use in that culture, particularly 50 or more years ago….

Some conjecture that the popularity of the word might also have to do with the letters M and J, as a pseudonym for a certain substance smoked by people in that culture before it was widely popular.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 May 16:36

Ultranomad wrote:

I had a feeling these differences between Europe and America have a lot to do with the public perception of frugality – more positive (as a sign of rationality) in Europe and more negative (as a sign of stinginess) in America. However, judging by LeSving’s post, Norway may be a major exception.

I don’t know exactly what you mean, what is frugality, stinginess?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Mooney_Driver

But in large parts of Europe the majority of the population live in self-imposed neighbourhood watch, where every detail of what neighbours do is scrutinized and badmouthed.

I have no idea what it’s like where you live but I have never experienced that, living all my life in Southern Germany. Actually I live in a densely populated are in Munich for 15 years now with my family and I know next to nothing about my neighbours, excecpt the ones I’m friends with. It’s more a “live and let live” lifestyle, nobody really cares what other people do.

Same about the airplane. I cannot remember anybody ever making a negative comment. They all want to flown though …

Last Edited by at 14 May 16:38

I am reminded of my Italian friends (a couple) who lived for a period in Basel working for a pharmaceutical company. They invited their next door neighbor for a house party at their apartment and he did come but left after a while. Then later he called the police because he didn’t like the noise. True story, happened spring of 2010 and the neighbor apparently had no compunction about explaining it when asked!

@LeSving, frugality is being very conservative with your money, with either positive or negative connotation. It can be considered a good thing in some circumstances. Stinginess is the same thing, but used only to convey a negative meaning.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 May 16:57

Anecdotes cannot be used as a proof for the mentality of a whole nation.
If we start exchanging ancedotes about stupid people … where will we get?

http://www.wpxi.com/news/local/2-found-shot-death-greensburg-home/289054461

Last Edited by at 14 May 17:45

Alexis, firstly the example I gave was not an anecdote, it was real. More importantly (to me) I think you can in fact learn from such real world examples. In response to the one you provided, I would comment that the US is statistically a fairly violent society. The back story is that the violence mostly in isolated pockets, and arguably the potential for violence is the reason why the US has relatively low property crime rate. Trying desperately to bring that diversion on topic, I’ll say that you won’t read of many aircraft engines being cut off aircraft and stolen in the US.

Everyone in Sweden has a datja / weekend house / summer house and a boat. It’s socially not only accepted, it’s almost required. The house sits completely empty for 11 months of the year (they have to pour alcohol in the toilet so the water doesn’t freeze and crack the porcelain during winter, windows boarded up) and the boat sits on land under a tarp at the marina for 10 months, they spend tens of thousands scraping the hull and repainting it every year… What a waste of resources. I keep telling them that they could own a pressurized cabin class aircraft that can take the whole family to Greece in 5hrs for much less. They look at me like I’m some sort of one-eyed monster from the lagoon when I suggest this. It’s just not socially acceptable.

I’d almost want to move back so I can annoy my dear Swedes by doing just that….

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 May 18:46

Silvaire wrote:

frugality is being very conservative with your money, with either positive or negative connotation. It can be considered a good thing in some circumstances. Stinginess is the same thing, but used only to convey a negative meaning.

Ahh, OK. In that case I think that depends on a case to case basis, and cultural idiosyncrasies comes into play, often with unpredictable results. Frugality is in general perceived as stinginess then, often connected with evil. But there is a huge difference on the person. A CEO (a person hired by the board to lead a company) is expected to be frugal, to devote his time and thought entirely to the company. The only exception here is to take care of his children and family (I mean seriously!!). A CEO flying himself to meetings etc, would be sacked immediately. He should use that spare time to work, and the money should be used for the company. A CEO earning “too much” is not perceived well by the public, because it simply means he is draining the company of money to use on himself. Using money on himself (instead of the company) is not a good characteristic for a person hired to be a leader.

A self made business man is expected to be the opposite. He is very much expected to spend lots of money on the community in a broader sense. If he doesn’t, it is viewed as stinginess and he is perceived as this evil, rich and nasty little person we often can see in Disney movies. No one would raise an eye lid if he traveled to meetings, piloting his biz jet, or his Ferrari or luxury yacht for that matter. In fact, the opposite would make larger head lines.

We have lots of examples of both types in this category, and also different CEO’s. In general, a frugal CEO will be very popular and well liked. Also a big spender self made business man is always well liked. Turn it around, and their popularity sinks to the bottom. How important is it to be popular and well liked? that’s the real question. Many of them (maybe most) lives rather anonymous lives I guess.

Personally I very much like the big spender self made business man. There wouldn’t be much aerial activities at ENOP without one particular big spender there. He once had a private B-737, but sold it, partly because he couldn’t fly it to ENOP. With the surrounding mountains the Norwegian CAA categorically denied that the place could be used for such a large aircraft. He actually applied twice. In the last application (so I have heard), he and the mayor at Oppdal explained they would change the placement of the runway slightly, change the surface, change the approach technology and so on. In short, they would change everything. The CAA only answered with a very short message that said: “The positions of the mountains have not changed”.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Silvaire wrote:

Alexis, firstly the example I gave was not an anecdote, it was real.

I think Alexis meant anecdote in the sense of “anecdotal evidence”, i.e. an isolated example where you have no idea how representative it is.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 May 05:12
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AdamFrisch wrote:

Everyone in Sweden has a datja / weekend house / summer house and a boat. It’s socially not only accepted, it’s almost required.

Well, in the upper class maybe… It is certainly not the case that everyone has it or that it’s almost required. On the other hand it’s not frowned upon.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message