Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your greatest trip of 2019?

Had a few awesome trips this year (most notable here…)

Feb:
EGKB to LSZL (Locarno) for weekend was awesome – beautiful clear weather.
EGKB to LOWZ – for a couple of days skiing. Was also beautiful and clear – Really sad to see recent accident there as I flew that approach but in gin clear day.
Mar:
EGKB to LELL (Sabadell – Barcelona) for Liverpool v Barcelona – great flight terrible result!
Apr:
EGKB to EBOS (Brugge) – weekend to relive our first trip to Europe in 1995!
May:
EGKB to LELL (Sabadell – Barcelona) to fetch my nephew on his first trip to Europe and UK
EGKB to EPPO (Poznan) for VFR night rating
June:
EGKB to LECU (Madrid) – Champions League Final – what a trip as a Liverpool fan!
KDLH (Duluth) to KDLL (Baraboo) to KOSH (Oshkosh) to KDLH – Airtime with Dale Klapmeier
KDLH to KSQL (San Carlos) – Crossing US for Episode 3
KSQL to KBFI (Boeing Field in Seattle) – Airtime with Michel Fester
KBFI to KBUF (Buffalo) to CYTZ (Toronto Downtown) – Crossing US for Commercial from Toronto to Heathrow. BEST flight over Niagra Falls and then into Toronto Downtown
July:
EGKB to LFCR to LFKB to LIEO to LFKP to EGKB – Summer week in Corsica and Sardinia – trip report here
August: Mainly business travel
Sept: Mainly business travel
Oct: Mainly business travel in US rental SR22T : KMSN (Madison) – KNEW (New Orleans for COPA Migration) – KADS (Addison Dallas) – KHPN (White Plains) – KMSN
Nov: training and currency flights
Dec: training and currency flights

Best pic was over Niagra Falls from the wing:

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

Made quite a lot of flying this year, but the most rememberable was definitely Tallinn-Montreal in June 2019. The aircraft was Beechcraft A36AT, fitted with tip tanks.

The routing was: EETN-ENTO-BIRK-BGSF-CYFB-CYTF-CYUL, total flying time about 25h.
The most difficult leg was ENTO(Torp) -BIRK(Rejkyavik), which was 6,5h direct flight. It was overcast clouds all the way until Iceland, with the cloudbase about 1000ft higher than the mountain tops over Norway. The forecasted 0C level was 5000ft over Norway, dropping to 2000ft over Iceland. We stayed just on top of IMC at FL100, just as we expected, got some marginal icing going trough the clouds, but nothing significant.

After a night stop in BIRK(Rejkyavik), we continued on with good weather and mostly VMC. Great views over Greenland and Northern Canada :) It was a loong day, the next night stop was in CYTF(Alma) where we made a night landing using the Radio controlled runway lightning (i wish we had more of this in Europe). This was actually too much flying for the day, the total air time was 14,5h that day.

The next day, we continued to Montreal int. – where i took a commercial flight back home and the aircraft continued on to Florida with the new owner.

Most memorable will definitely be crossing from St John to reijkjavik on a brand new engine, that gets the adrenaline flowing a little…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I love reading this thread, so inspirational! Keep it up guys!

In next year’s thread my best trip will certainly not be a measly 33 nm flight to a nondescript airfield…maybe a 100 nm one instead :P

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

my top trip in 2019 was a week trip to Macedonia and back. All VFR. Route was EDTG – Maribor – Belgrade – Sarajevo – Tivat – Skopje – Brac – Salzburg – EDTG

Switzerland

My favourite 2019 trip was a return from Colorado Springs to Oxford with one stop in Goose Bay. Boring compared with most here but the best I can do with mostly business travel.

EGTK Oxford

Hi Everyone, long time skulker, new member here.

For me it depends on what you mean by the greatest trip. Most fun was a week in Scotland flying down the glens and out to the islands. Most adventurous was Sweden, I’ve never turned left when over the channel, and I will be back there when I can. The flight out to Sweden did not go as planned. With luck a video will appear here.

United Kingdom

That’s a nice report, tomw, and welcome to EuroGA

That’s a good trip to do in what were not easy conditions, and especially with the dreadful UK Form 215

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ScmHIMXOMKuDfFD2C8od77vA

Around the US. Starting at Bend, Oregon. Many stops over about 5 weeks. Notable: The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Lake Huron, Prince and King hotel in Georgia, Atlantis in Nassau, Bahamas, a friends boat in the Exumas, New Orleans, Fredericksburg, Texas, and back home. 52 hours flying.

KBDN (Bend Oregon, USA), Other

Finishing the Carbon Cub build last year was satisfying, but a home-built hasn’t really been baptised until it goes to Oshkosh. So I made the 3400 NM round trip from the West coast at Cub speeds over 3 days each way. Maybe not as much of an adventure as Rinker Buck’s ‘Flight of Passage’ but a good shake down of my new machine.
A few interesting stops on the way including this one in Utah’s Canyonlands. A trip to the High Sierra fly-in rounded off the year’s adventures.
But something even more exciting planned for 2020………….

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one