Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

To invest in property, or aircraft? TB21 for 240k euros, and other overpriced aircraft.

In the last three to five years investing in a tidy C-152, PA-28-161 or C-182P through R would have handsomely out performed UK property. Samples could be found for around £25-35k, and they are now worth £50k + (C152), £60K plus (Warrior) and £80k plus (C182). I regret not picking up a nice 182P for £30k back in the day.

UK property has moved sideways or down 10%, plus the usual holding and sale friction costs.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Investing in property which is rented out has no cost. Even if not rented, maintenance is cheap.
Investing in an aircraft has hangarage (or parking, with associated deterioration) and annuals.
I own most of an aircraft bought for £15,500 in June 2018. It’s now insured for £30,000. That almost covers the spending on upgrades, not maintenance.
It’s not an investment, it’s a luxury.
The £1,600 I invested in a Jodel share almost 30 years ago has increased in value, but nowhere near what I’ve spent on hangarage and insurance.
Aircraft are only a good buy for someone who flies them.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

15 years ago I bought a plot of land in Croatia for £90000; it’s now worth £25000.
About the same time I bought a half share in a Falco for £20000. The Falco share has probably risen a little in value but cost of ownership probably represents a small loss. I know which one of the two I’ve enjoyed owning most!

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 25 Nov 08:05
Forever learning
EGTB

Stickandrudderman wrote:

15 years ago I bought a plot of land in Croatia for £90000; it’s now worth £25000.

Really? Unbelievable… is it by the sea?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Stickandrudderman wrote:

You simply overpaid it – four years later you could’ve probably bought it for £15000.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I lost 50% on a house in the UK… it can happen if the timing is bad.

My TB20 was 195k in 2002 and then Socata were raising their prices fast. Actually they stopped production in 2001/2002 but they didn’t reveal this officially until c. 2005. In 2003 I was offered what I paid for mine, because the price list figure was about 230k.

I am sure no TB20 has sold for €230k or anywhere near, regardless of the level of equipment.

Maybe, if you had completely refurbished it with everything new and a 10/10 paint job… today’s plane prices are crazy high so it would be possible. But who would do that?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Personally I don’t like illiquid assets as investments, as investments they are often much more trouble than they are worth. If I buy a plane it’s to fly, not as an investment, and if I buy property it’s to live in it. In both cases I don’t care so much how much it’s worth after I’ve bought it. I’ll probably be both keeping my house and my plane pretty much forever!

Last Edited by alioth at 25 Nov 10:37
Andreas IOM

You simply overpaid it – four years later you could’ve probably bought it for £15000.

Perhaps, but a change in designation from permitted building zone to agricultural didn’t help!

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 25 Nov 21:41
Forever learning
EGTB

Stickandrudderman wrote:

Perhaps, but a change in designation from permitted building zone to agricultural didn’t help!

Ouch. Yes, that is as good as a total loss. I know people who had the same happen in Bulgaria, only there they declared a national park. Their land is totally lost to any kind of use….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It can easily happen in corrupted countries like Croatia where minister of infrastructure can order building completely useless bridge to his home village or where the mayor of capital can exchange his support to government (votes of his party members in parliament) to support of his private project which includes changing designation of building zones in capital city. Croatia is good as tourist destination but it’s hardly a country where you can invest in any business which corruptive structures (read: any level of government) are interested in.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message